Julia Chapter 4

Paul closed the door quietly behind him using his foot. Julia lay sleeping peacefully on his shoulder. She had her arm around his neck and the other holding his back. He walked to his room and laid her down on the bed, putting pillows on either side of her body to keep her from falling out. He pulled the covers up to her chin and watched her sleep. He turned around and walked to the living room where the phone book was. He flipped through the pages until he found what he wanted. AXAM'S PATERNITY TESTING CLINIC. He walked to the phone and dialed the number written.

"Hello axam's paternity clinic, how can I help you?" The voice said.

 "Uh..."I’d like to make an appointment?" He asked, rather than saying.

 "Sure. When would you like to schedule it?"

 "As soon as possible" he told the lady

 "I can put you in at 3:00 if that's okay with you?" He checked his watch. It was almost 2:00 o'clock. That should give him enough time for Julia to wake up and leave.

 "3's fine"

 "Alright then, I'll just need your name"

 "Pau-James McCartney" he was about to say Paul, but figured that it might create some unwanted rumors.

 "Okay. I'll see you at three misters McCartney. Have a nice day" she said before she hung up. He put the phone down. He had about 30 minutes to kill before he had to wake up Julia. So he settled himself in the kitchen and started to write the lyrics to a tune that he had swirling in his head. After about 20 minutes he heard small footsteps walking around.

"Paul?" He heard Julia say in the hallway.

 "Yah" he called out. She walked to the kitchen. Her hair was down and slightly messy. The elastics that held it all together was now long lost. It fell in waves that stopped halfway down her back.

 "What are you doing?" She asked with a yawn.

 "I'm working" he said.

 "Oh...what's your job?"

 "I'm in a band" he said smiling.

 "What's that?" She asked

 "It's a group of people who make music together. Remember John? He's part of the band i'm in, the Beatles"

 "Never heard of them" his smile faltered

 "No? Well we kind of sound like Elvis Presley"

 "Who's that?" That's weird, he thought, he never met a kid who didn't know him.

 "What about little Richard «she shook her head. "The doors?"

 "No"

 "Billie holiday?"

 "No"

 "Dean Martin?"

 "No"

 "Ray Charles!?" He said thinking she would at least know him. But she shook her head sadly. His mood dimmed.  "Do you ever listen to the radio?" He asked softly. She looked down at the floor. Her hands twisting behind her back.

 "Mummy says I don't deserve to." Her bottom lip quivered. «She says I'm ungrateful and not important and a lot of other means words too. I listened to the radio once though. Mama found out and pulled my hair and hit me." A tear ran down her cheek. She looked up smiling. "But mama can't hurt me if I'm here. Right?" she as she sniffed.

 Paul got of his chair and gathered in her arms. He kissed her forehead and rubbed her back. The letter he got from her sure didn't match the lady that she was describing. The lady in the letter seemed like such a caring mother. Obviously not, what kind of a mother would hit their child for listening to music? He thought. That's ridiculous.