Anonymous Runaway

• Dedicated to Shany Kemp

I'm sitting on the beach wearing my favourite blue t-shirt and ripped jean shorts. I don't know what time it is and all I know is that a storm is coming. Waves are crashing on the cliffs to my left and a shipwrecked boat is deserted to my right. I am alone, sad and angry and have run away from home. All I have with me is a bag that contains my shoes, a couple of books, my iPod and my phone. My hair I loose and is waving around in the wind. I can't stop thinking about that fight. Me shouting and screaming at my parents and mum crying and telling me to go away. It's seems so long ago but I know it was only last night. I had crept away in the middle of the night and came here. This was my place. No-one came here except me because they think it's too dangerous. I knew it was safe and there is a shelter in the cliffs with stuff from previous visits. As it starts to rain I head up to my cave. I pull out a book and cover myself with a blanket and loose myself in the book. It's about a girl whose run away because she shoplifted and was going to be arrested. When I stop reading I grabbed a pillow and a blanket and fell asleep.

When I woke up I hear my phone beeping in my bag. It was my mum sending me all these text messages saying "Gabby please come home" or "I'm sorry Gabby, Just please come home." But I wasn't going home, well not yet anyway. I wasn't ready to go back; there were just too many memories. Oh well. In picked up my iPod and was glad I had a wifi network and computer here. I checked my Facebook, MSN and talked to a couple of my friends. I told them that I wasn't coming back to school. They asked why and I just said "It's complicated." After that I played a couple of games and checked my horoscope. It said "You are troubled, Virgo, you need to get away and clear your mind." What a coincidence. It was coming true. Yesterday's one said something like "Virgo, and checked my horoscope. It said "You are troubled, Virgo, you need to get away and clear your mind." What a coincidence. It was coming true. Yesterday's one said something like "Virgo, You will experience conflict and have family troubles." Another coincidence that was coming true. I wonder what tomorrows will say.

My stomach rumbled and I hunted around till I found a bag of Smiths Chips. I made a mental note to go and buy some stuff that would last me a few days that could go on sandwiches and to also get some stuff for breakfast as well as snacks. My wallet contained a fifty dollar note, two twenties, three tens and six fivers. A hundred and fifty dollars should last me awhile. I mean, it's not like I need clothes. I have heaps here. And I can use the public toilets and showers. There's a soup van for the homeless. I qualify for that now don't I? It comes every two or three nights giving soup, sandwiches and hot/cold drinks to the less fortunate. Oh well, at least I'm not hungry anymore. I stand up and stretch my aching back and hear a faint noise coming from the back of the cave. I follow it to the back corner and the light from the sun shone onto a small tortoiseshell kitten. It didn't look much older than ten weeks old and it was probably weaned. It meowed in hunger and I picked it up and it snuggled itself into my chest. I stroked the little warm body and decided to call it Lucky. I went back and put it on the pillow and made a cat bed out of a blanket and a small pillow. I put Lucky in it and she fell asleep almost straight away. I yawned and made myself go back to sleep.

I woke up to Lucky lying on my chest and licking my face, obviously distressed about something. I realised that she's worried about the storm. It must've hit while I was asleep. I get up and rush around moving everything to the back of the cave and into the plastic boxes that are all stacked up. I find at least two spiders, lucky I'm not afraid of spiders. I pack everything in and calm Lucky down. I give her some dried meat for something to eat. I'm bored so I go on the computer and check my email. I have one from my penfriend from Sweden. Her name's Sofia and she's really nice. She likes the same things as me and is just a bit older than me. I read the email she sent to me and make a reply to her. We just keep sending replies to each other so you can scroll down and read the first email we sent to each other. I am hoping to meet her someday. After sending the email I play Internet Chess three times and win two games. The last one I lost because Lucky jumped up and landed on the arrow keys making the piece I didn't want to move, move. Sigh. Bored. Nothing to do, then a wave comes and splashes into the front of the cave. I look for Lucky but I can't see her anywhere. Then I realise that she has gotten caught in the wave. I run forward to try and get her before the wave pulls her out but by the time I reach the front of the cave she is pulled out at least five metres out to sea. I dive into the water and swim out to where she is. I hold onto her tightly as the current tosses us around like kids playing ball. I tuck her under one arm and swim diagonally back to shore. I collapse, panting on the beach. Lucky climbs up my chest and licks my face till I get up. We walk back to the cave and wonder what will happen next.

________________________________________________________________________________

OK Guys, I would really appreciate it if you could vote or comment. It only takes a minute and it means the world to me!