Chapter 39

Chapter 39

I shift uncomfortably in my sleep, a massive crick in my neck.  Massaging it gently I open my eyes.  I am disoriented as always, the first few seconds waking up.  I feel warm from my dream, but I cannot recall what is was about.  It takes me several more seconds to register the band strewn all over the living room on the ground, tangled in blankets and lounging uncomfortably on the furniture.  I force myself off of the couch, thinking maybe Calum will be a bit more comfortable.   

I sprint up the stairs quickly to brush my teeth.  My hair is a mess and my makeup has smudged around my eyes, but I walk back downstairs anyways, not caring enough to fix it.  Joe and my mom are in the kitchen surprisingly, with toast and bacon.    

"Are they still sleeping?"  My mom asks me suddenly.

"Yeah.  Hope you don't mind that they crashed, but they just wiped out after the cake and I didn't have the heart to tell them to go home." 

"No need to explain sweetie.  That's fine, but Joe and I were hoping to take you out seeing how you guys don't know each other too well and as a late birthday gift." 

"...Sounds fun."  I hope my voice sounds sincere.

I pour the milk into my bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats and find a spoon.  The band emerges slowly and helps themselves to cereal, milk, and orange juice.  When they filter out, my mom tells me to get dressed.    

"What is the attire?"  I ask, shifting my weight to my left foot.        

My mom and Joe exchange eye contact quickly.

"Something causal but nice, keeping the weather in mind."  My mom remains vague.  But dress to impress, because first impressions are everything."  She tells me vaguely. 

"What does that even mean?"  I mumble under my breath taking the stairs two at a time. 

I feel a small blast of warm air when I walk into my room.  There are clothes strewn messily on my desk chair and my desk itself is cluttered with papers and writing utensils.  I search through my closet looking for something "nice" to wear.  I slip into my trusty dark washed skinny jeans and slouchy maroon sweater.  Lacing up my brown heeled booties I remember that my makeup is all smudged so I fix it quickly in the bathroom; and brush out my hair before letting it fall over my left shoulder.  I tuck my phone and wallet in my Barbour then bound down the stairs.  I swipe my bag off of the coffee table and shove my wallet and phone in it.  Then I grab several Luna bars and fruit snacks from the cupboard.   I call goodbye to the cats before retreating to the driveway.  Once I shut the door Joe pulls out.  It's strange not sitting in the front seat.  I tap my fingers incessantly on my knees.  The driver and passenger are talking idly in the front.

"So Lee," I make eye contact with Joe in the rearview mirror.  "How was last night?" 

I choke on the saliva in my mouth and nod. 

"Good.  We didn't do much, just hung out: watched TV, ate food, the usual.  Did you guys have fun last night?" 

"Yes Lee, thank you very much."  My mother says behind clenched teeth. 

  "Why is this ride taking so long?"  I ask, after about an hour.

"Lee, you're not five years old.  Stop complaining.  It's only another ten minutes or so." 

  I cross my arms over my chest and stare out the window.  We are in the main downtown part of Sydney.  A lot of tourists are out, going between shops, aquariums, and theaters.  I lean my head against the cool window wishing I brought ear-buds.  I may or may not have fallen asleep because my mom rouses me when we reach our destination.