29. The Agreement

There's a loud knock on my door, but I ignore it. "Violet?" I hear Varian call out, before he opens the door anyhow; poking his head around the corner. He's dressed in some stupid outfit that makes him look like he'd hunted through a lost and found box. "Can I please talk to you?" I turn away from him, scowling. "No. I don't speak to liars." He sighs as he enters the room and sits on the bed beside me. He holds out a parcel wrapped in brown paper, before sliding it onto my lap. "I bought something for you....."

I push it off me. "So you're buying my affections now? What are you, my suitor? Just go away." He sighs. "I'm sorry. I really am. I would have told you sooner, but I thought that they were going to let you go." "Ohh, I understand. You mean you only would have told me if they kept me prisoner. Oh yes, thank you so much." My eyes dart over to him, before they widen. "Why did you draw a barcode on your face?" Varian blushes, and wipes off the fake goatee. "It's only for show, Vi." "Well it looks stupid. Don't ever grow a beard." I cross my arms tightly, using all of my willpower not to look in his direction again.

"Are you not going to open the package?" "I don't want it." He sighs once more, before holding it out to me. "It's more of a need oriented present. Unless you want to freeze." I snatch it from his hands, and rip the paper off it, revealing my white undershirt and my black flats.

For a moment, I think that he's just given me back my old clothes, but then I realise that my red tunic dress is gone, and instead there is a black strapped dress with a brown belt to go on-top of the undershirt. This piece of clothing is clearly new. I hold it up to my face and inhale the new material scent. "What did you do with my old dress?" I question softly, turning to Varian, who looks uncomfortable. "Andrew didn't like it. He told Clementine to burn it."

I sigh sadly, as I hug the outfit to my chest. "I liked that dress." "I know you did. I'm sorry. I tried to stop them." I nod my head slowly. "Thank you." "You don't hate me?" I laugh softly, shaking my head as black and cyan streaks fall into my eyes. "No. If course I don't. I was just....... I don't know, I just felt betrayed."

He sighs, and wraps his arm around my shoulders. "I won't let them get away with this." He whispers into my hair. "I won't let them erase your memories." Now it's my turn to sigh. "Maybe it's better if they do." "What? Why would you say such a thing!!"

"What if it does make everything better?" I cry, my voice sounds strained. "I've lost everything Varian. I've lost my parents, I've lost my home, I've lost my cat...." "They're going to be bringing Yang here in the morning." I sigh and bury my face into my knees. "What's the point of remembering any of this? It's not like I remember my real parents anyhow. You should be encouraging them to erase my memories. You can start over with me. Maybe I'll be less selfish after-"

Varian grabs my shoulders. "Don't you dare say things like that." He pulls me into a tight hug. "I know that you're hurting. I do. And it is because of me. But if they use the gas on you, you won't just forget about the Automatons. You'll forget everything. And I don't want to get rip every last shred of happiness away from you. It's not fair. It's not my call to make." I slowly raise my eyes to face his. "You should have let me die, you know. If you did, none of this would have happened. I'm unremarkable Varian, I'm not worth saving."

Anger seems to overcome him, as he suddenly starts shaking my shoulders. "Take it back. Take all of that back. You are not selfish. I'd rather erase the memories of the Coronians ten times over if it meant saving your life." My eyes widen in surprise. "You can't choose me over hundreds of people Varian!" "Try me." I sigh, and start twisting the cyan streak in my hands, desperately changing the subject. "I need to get it stitched up before it gets infected." I bow my head as I gesture to the scarf concealing my injury. "It may be even too late."