Chapter One: First Impressions

Stephanie’s POV

It was the first day of my sophomore year and I was ready for it to be over all ready.  I stared at many new and old faces as they walked past me.  I laughed to myself as the freshmen scampered around searching for their classes.  I walked to my history class first and found a seat in the middle.  My teacher droned on about nothing for the next hour and a half. 

I decided to put my head down and take a nap.  I woke up to the loud ringing of the bell and people talking.  I got up sluggishly and headed to the media center for my study hall period.  When I got in there, I sat at a computer near the back and worked on my summer project.  I pulled up Pandora on my computer and set my music to the Alicia Keys radio. I plugged my earphones in and got busy typing.

About halfway through typing my essay someone sat at the computer next to me.  I looked over at him and I must say, he was mighty fine.  Personally I’m not into relationships right now, I’m focused on my future but at this moment in time, I wanted him in my future.

Every once in a while I glanced over at him.  I noticed his sharp features, it made him stand out from the boys in this school.  He looked a little old to be honest.  He almost looked like a senior, even a senior that missed the ball a few times if you know what I mean.  I looked over his torso to see that his skin tight shirt defined his shoulder muscles and abs beautifully.

I looked back up at his face to see his nose ring that stood out across his features.  His lips were very plump and pink.  Next, something caught my eye, it was a trail of tattoos that were on his neck but then disappeared under his shirt.  After I realized I had been staring for while, I focused back on my paper.  He seemed completely oblivious to the fact that I had been starting him down.

The funny thing is, I hadn’t noticed him last year.  Trust me, I would remember someone like him.  I started typing again when I felt a pair of eyes staring at me I looked in the boy’s direction and saw him staring at my computer.  I took one of my earphones out and looked at him curiously.  When his eyes met mine, a shiver sped down my spine.  I tried my best not to show it but I shuddered ever so slightly.  He tilted his head and sent me a small smile.  He opened his mouth and was about to speak but, he was cut short by the bell. 

He smiled at me again, giving me a full on grin and walked away.  Once his back was turned I melted in my seat at the thought of him smiling at me over and over again.  I looked down at the table and I noticed he forgot a sheet of paper with calculus problems on it.  I looked at the top for his name but it wasn’t there.  I don’t want to randomly walk up to him without knowing his name and give him his paper, but it seemed important.  I grabbed my belongings and headed in the direction he was headed.

Once I was outside of the library, I saw him down the hall.  I jogged and caught up to him, once I reached him I tapped his shoulder to get his attention and he turned around.  He stared down at me as I slowly took the paper from my book bag pocket and handed it out towards him.  Before I started I gulped

“Y-you left this in the library”

On the last word, my voice cracked and I cleared my throat. 

He took it from my hand and examined it.  He looked back up at me and smiled and walked away.  Was that a thank you? Wow okay.  The minute bell rang and my class was on the other side of the hall. I sped off in the direction of my classroom but got held up by a big group of people that were standing in the hallway for no apparent reason.  I glanced down at my watch to see that I had about 30 seconds to get all the way down the hall. 

I pushed people out of my way and once I was in the clear I sped down the hallway and got into class just as the bell rang.  Once I got to my seat, I was still panting very hard, I dug in my purse looking for my inhaler and took a deep breath from it.  I let out a sigh of relief as I sat back in my chair.  My friend Tiffany and I just happened to have this one class together.  She leaned over and started talking.

“Did you hear about the party that one of the juniors is hosting? His parents are out of town and-“

“Tiff…. The last time I went to a party like that, I was grounded for two months, I’m not risking it again”

“Steph, it’ll be fun!  It’s Saturday night at 8.  I’ll text you the deats!”

Before I could say anything else, the teacher started talking.  This wasn’t going to end well for me.  I knew  I was going to let Tiffany persuade me to go to the party.  She’s such a bad influence but she’s my best friend.  I sighed and listened to our teacher drone on and on. 

I had a bad feeling about this particular party.