Chapter 14.2| Know

John PoV

"I won't stand for people comparing me to that thing."

Her eyebrows arching, Sera blinked a few times. "Fair enough." She tilted her head and crossed her arms, "Though you realise the only person who does that is you, right? Everyone else got over any possible prejudices they had."

My jaw slacked a bit, I wasn't too sure about how to reply.

Reaching out and holding my hand, she said, "We were all waiting on you to rip free from that false perception of yourself." She smiled, "It's good to hear that you've moved on!"

I couldn't help but chuckle, she was right. Now that I thought about it, I was the only one still beating myself up over my violent past. Sure, I knew I changed. I worked hard to get were I was. But the fear that I'd relapse and fall, further than before, still lingered.

"You are incapable of change."

"You are doomed to fail."

I shook my head. He was wrong. Keon was just trying to break me. I was more that capable of change, just like everyone else. I could be a better person and I took my chance at reaching that goal. I didn't regret it for a moment. I can make it!!

Grinning, I slung my arm over Sera's shoulder, "Thank you, Sera." I said, "You're always there when I need you most."

"Right back at ya, babe." She purred, bumping our noses together.

We walked out of the room, heading to meet up with Remi. The pinkette was chatting with some of the employees of the bank. They were clearly expressing their thanks and that they'll be able to deal with  Preston from now on.

As soon as Remi shook hands with one of the managers over the knocked-out and tied up criminal, we stepped out of the building.

Taking a deep breath, I admired the serene quiet of the street. It was peaceful. Almost too good to be true.
Then, I felt an aura. It was powerful, but nothing we wouldn't be able to handle. It was followed by two other auras, slightly weaker.

Pulling Seraphina and Remi behind me I looked around, so far, I couldn't see anyone. My passive range must have increased.

"Orange, do you see anyone around here?" I whispered to the earpiece. No answer. "Orange?! Red?! Answer immediately!"

Nothing.

I had to depend on my own senses, I could tell that one of the auras had something to do with fire and that another was an advanced hunter ability. The final aura was the most intriguing for me, it seemed to be an energy draining ability. That person walked further out, separating themselves from the others. Their ability must affect anyone in a certain radius.

"Orange! Red!" Remi called into the earpiece, "P-please answer."

One of the figures stepped forward so that we could see her. She was quite tall with blonde hair. She wore a black, fitted trench coat. It was similar to the one my shadow self was wearing. The two other figures, a man and achother woman were also wearing these uniforms.

I gulped, was I supposed to be one of them, if we hadn't escaped the facility?

"Don't bother trying to call your friends." The tall, blonde woman said, "They didn't even notice when we took care of them."

"Vulcan!" Remi yelled, "What did you do to them?!" Remi strutted forward, surrounded by lightning.  But I blocked her with my arm.

"Keep your cool." I whispered to her, trying to mask my own panic, "She's trying to provoke you." The girl was trembling and I could see tears in her eyes. She ground her teeth but compiled, still balling her fists.

Turning to the faces of EMBER, I warned, "I suggest you stand down. You won't win a confrontation with us."

"That's pretty bold of you, John." Laughed the blonde, "Have you forgotten how easily you were overpowered back at the facility? We can swiftly remind you, if you need it."

My eyes widened. Copying the man's Hunter ability, I glanced at the top of the surrounding buildings. There were people aiming some kind of machinery at us. We can't face another dampener incident!

But I knew I couldn't pull of the necessary scale of time freeze to take them all out. I needed to think this through.

"It's funny seeing you fight against us." Vulcan said, "It seems almost  unnatural."

Beginning to feel a familiar numbness in the tips of my fingers, as a ringing sounded in my ears.

It's for the best. Monster. Obey. You don't need to think. Obey.

Biting my lip, I attempted to shake my mind clear of these thoughts. I had to keep my head in the game. I was better than that! I felt Sera hold my arm, stroking it reassuringly.

"Let me repeat myself, stand down." I said, projecting my voice and allowing my aura to expand around me. With Sera, Remi and their abilities copied, my shadowy ability was sure to look intimidating. "I won't warn you again."

The woman began to frown, correcting her stance to a more stable pose. She looked at us with anticipation. I realised she was probably waiting for the dampeners to hit us.

Freezing time for a moment, I pulled Sera and Remi forward and ran at the trio. Once time resumed, Volcan and the two others were furious. It was obvious that this would turn into a brawl.  But with us mingling with the enemy, the snipers would be more hesitant to shoot.

The odds were in our favour.