11: Girls Just Wanna Have Sun

Start from the beginning

"It only says that the girls want, not that the girls get."

"Hmmm."

"Isaac, is there any chance you can think about this while I'm devouring the breakfast downstairs? They have croissants, I saw them!"

Isaac is once again reminded that the majority of the time Liam acts like an overgrown child, and there is something slightly endearing about it all. Isaac thinks it's because most people grow out of enthusiasm, find it harder and harder to get excited about the small things in life, but Liam still manages it, somehow, even if it's something as small as the food at breakfast or the top bunk. It's why spending time with Liam is so fun, there's always some small miracle to be found, something to appreciate that Isaac might not have noticed otherwise. Liam makes Isaac feel like there's something amazing waiting around every corner.

The two of them head downstairs and Liam more than makes the most of the food on offer. Isaac will never understand the diet of other boys his age, and is more than happy to have what seems like a more normal-sized plateful, watching on as Liam enjoys his three-course breakfast.

Once the two of them are done Liam looks at Isaac expectingly.

"So..." he says eventually, "kayaking?"

Isaac can't quite explain his excitement for the day ahead, growing up near a lake you learn to make the most of it and the activities it offers. So Isaac grew up swimming, and hiking, and kayaking, and he's quite looking forward to seeing how Liam fares, he imagines it might not quite be like a duck to water.

"Indeed," Isaac replies, "there's quite a few hire places down by the lake so figure we'll take out a two-person one for an hour or two."

"Are we going to capsize?"

"Not if I have anything to do with it." Isaac pauses, gives a pointed look down at his t-shirt. "Besides, can't go about getting high fashion wet."

Liam's eyes narrow in a mock glare and Isaac has to swallow hard to find his voice.

"Come on," he says eventually, "We better get going before all the good boats are gone."

"Oh, so now he wants to get moving."

The area of the lakefront the hostel is on is just starting to open, people slowly drifting out of the hotels and into the cafes nearby. Several small children running along the front and tossing bits of bread to the swans. It's busy, but Isaac knows that this is quieter than it will get at the peak of the season, when it's impossible to move and there's no point trying to drive anywhere if you're wanting to get there in less than an hour, no matter how close to you it may be.

Isaac heads to the nearest kayak place, less than five minutes walk from the hostel, and he watches as Liam hangs back, trusting him to make the right decision. It's not hard of course, Isaac requests a kayak, fills out a form, pays some money, and one is handed over to him with a brief talk on how to stay safe and where to go to stay out of the path of boats.

Liam approaches the kayak somewhat nervously, and Isaac finds himself insisting that Liam gets in first.

"You can sit in the front, then you get to see the views even better," Isaac explains, "plus you're shorter, and at least I can see over your head."

Liam flips Isaac the finger, his height somewhat of a sore point given that he is the shortest member of the group. But he clambers in and as Isaac sits behind him, he feels the guy from the rental place slowly push them out into the lake. It's only then that Isaac notices Liam is gripping his paddle so hard that his knuckles are starting to turn white.