"You'll catch your death in this weather," said a voice.

Elizabeth pulled her sopping hood from around her face and shivered. "I was going to get shelter, you know."

"And I was going to let you pass by, but when you just stopped in the middle of the street, I couldn't help but pull you in. I am a gentleman, you know, and gentlemen do ladies gentle favors. Like, grabbing their arms and yanking them out of the rain."

Elizabeth laughed. "Oh yes, that's quite a gentle favour. I was just debating whether or not to risk catching my death of cold or duck into some shop. Hey, what's your name... oh,"

She had glanced up at his face, and her expression was one of shock and bewilderment. "Oh, wait, no – I know you."

He grinned. "I thought you had already figured that, and I was pleased you could just fall right back into easy conversation with me."

"No, we – I-I have to go." Elizabeth stepped back into the rain and began to walk briskly down the street.

He caught up hauled her to a stop. "All right, hold on. Let me just say something here – please."

She cocked her head and glared up at him, arms folded across her chest. "Five minutes."

He sighed in relief and, after several moments of collecting his thoughts, began to speak. "First of all, I'm sorry. Second, I didn't side with anyone. There's a reason they called me Switzerland – I was neutral, so..."

"Four minutes left." She interrupted.

"I wish there were some way to make it up to you. The boys back home –"

"On enemy territory. You broke my trust!"

"And it's hurt me all these years. Lizzy –"

"Don't call me that." She said, voice strong despite the moisture that had gathered in her eyes.

"All right, Elizabeth, enough – I am sorry. I have woken up every day for the past three years feeling devastated that I left you there, alone, on the battlefield. That image of you is all I see when I go to bed at night, and I remember –"

"Three more minutes. Talk fast."

"I am your friend. Or I was. Before. And I still – well, you're like the younger sister I never had."

"Right. And you told me that... when? Once. Right before you turned your back. And you said 'but'. But I have to leave. But I can't take you with me. But I'm going to leave you, to starve, with these... these... these heartless people – if you could even call them that – who don't even care if I live or die except that I was basically their slave. But, but, but – oh, my goodness, Alexander, if you even knew."

"I'm sorry." He murmured. "So, so sorry."

Lizzy glowered at him, then exhaled, exasperated. "Why is it so hard to stay mad at you! My goodness, all this anger – it's – well, it's gone! I can't even understand – what is it with your face? Your voice?"

"I – have a calming personality?" he squeaked out, astonished at the sudden change in her countenance.

She rolled her eyes, changing the subject so abruptly she surprised even herself. "All right, you need to know something. Someone from my past showed up – someone I didn't ever want to meet again, and I just – I don't know what to do about it. He's terrible."

"What's his name?"

Elizabeth sighed. "He's called Lanky Thomas, but no-one knows his real name. And that pseudonym does not suit him at all. I mean, when you think about it, the term 'lanky' makes you think long arms, long legs, all wildly unproportionate to the torso – gangly, right?"