Chapter 18: Friends, Brothers and Sister

Start from the beginning

The blonde one bit his lip. "Wait, what?"

"You heard me. I am going to beat up that Bellamy, he will not be able to stand up again." Luffy's angry face started fading.

He's a senior, Ace and Sabo awed. "But...?"

"But I can't do that! Franky's right. I got beaten up by that bastard once so maybe I can't do it, after all."

"The hell?" Ace groaned. "Is it that, or is there something else bothering you?"

"What?"

Sabo cracked his knuckles, "It isn't like you to doubt yourself."

Luffy blinked. Maybe Nami's message did actually had an effect on him, he just didn't know it. He recalled her voice playing that annoying message over and over again, as he clenched his fists and slammed them on the table. If the cafeteria was full, the students would have been looking at them by now.

"I wanna do it..." Luffy started. "but how do I know if I'm not gonna mess it up? Nami's –"

Ace was the one who slammed his fist on the table this time. "You don't. That's all it is, Luffy. A leap of faith."

Luffy glanced at Sabo who had a smile, "He's right, little bro. God, I want to punch you right now. Stop doubting yourself!"

"Now get up and tell your friends that you made up your mind,"

===

Later that day, Nami had arrived home with Nojiko, who was still clueless about the stuff going on with Bellamy. They didn't have conversations about him before, so Nami asking about him was a first even for her.

"Yeah he creeps me out sometimes but he's nice. He helped me with homework once," Nojiko blurted out. She noticed Nami sulking unconditionally by the corner. "Are you okay?"

"Just tired,"

Nojiko's phone chimed. She went through the message and her eyes widened at what was shown. What she did next was unbelievable; with her sudden alarm Nami stood from where she sat and the next thing she knew, Nojiko had her hand flying towards the side of Nami's face. She showed her what was on the screen of her phone as the latter was still facing the other direction. Nami felt her cheek sting from the hand of her furious sister.

"Seriously?! What the hell, Nami?!"

The orange haired girl remained silent. It was...it was all too soon. Everything was going too fast. And for another, Nojiko getting an idea on what's going on was not in the deal.

"So my intuition was right...something is going on between you two." Nojiko watched Nami breath while she herself still had a teary eye. "Answer me! What is this?!"

It was a photo of Nami handing Bellamy a couple hundred Beris, that was a stolen shot, and a message that said something about the two being in cahoots for some time now. But nevertheless, the message was from The Hyena himself.

"I-I...Bellamy and I made a deal," she replied. "A hundred thousand Beris and..."

Nojiko huffed.

"...and he'll lay off of you,"

"Everything's fine, Nami! He's not–"

"I don't believe you," she retorted, sniffing. "I know about the creepy things he says about you. And 'Dynamite Gal'? I know it's you he's referring to when he says that."

Nojiko squealed. "Even so, you didn't have to go all the way to 'save' me! Nami...it was just like two years ago."

The younger one flinched. Her sister was right. Nami had went through this once, two years ago, but that time was much more difficult since she had to gather money without any advantage.

"At least now I...I have stuff to help me with!" Nami forced a smile and took out the orange baton from her bag. It was the same one Usopp and Franky had worked on, which she now uses for her 'operation'.

"That's not the point! Why are you taking the burden all to yourself?!"

Nami averted her gaze.

"Do they know?"

"Huh?"

"Your friends," Nojiko stated. "do they know? Does he know?"

Luffy? Nami had long abandoned the thought of his reaction to the news for she had personally bid her adieu to them. That voice mail was probably deleted by now and the others would, hopefully, not go after her. It was just like what she wanted...or, what Bellamy wanted her to do, rather.

Nami clenched her fist. "Can we not talk about them, please?"

"So what are you going to do now?"

One thing popped into Nami's mind: cut connections with her and her main circle. The nine of them would be better off without the burden of her choice on their backs, even though the message she sent them was kind of saying otherwise. Nami simply hoped that they'd get it, especially him. Especially their immature captain who had the history of doing things on his own accord no matter how senseless it may be. It would be best for everyone to cut ties with her.

But through the message earlier, Nami knew she already did.