5

.

re·flex

an action that is performed as a response to a stimulus and without conscious thought

.

__________

The sun in the last third of July beamed shyly just above the horizon, saturating the atmosphere in a pink hue of after dawn. Sasuke was tying his shoelace when a knock of his door was heard. After finishing the knot in a hurried manner, he jogged to open the door.

Expecting three Hyuugas, he was met with only Hinata.

Hinata smiled ruefully. "Neji stayed late last night. Hanabi wasn't feeling it."

Sasuke blinked and nodded before stepping out of the threshold.

"Wait," said Hinata, startling him, "I have something for you. Here, open it." She offered him a palm-length cube packaging which he simply took. "I haven't seen you with them on while studying lately," Hinata continued hesitantly as Sasuke tore the kraft paper wrapping. "Figured you lost it and needed one."

What lied beneath the wrapping were two boxes of earphones; one apparently custom made, while the other a pair of commercial wireless one. Both shared the same shade of black.

"Surprise, I got you two sets," said Hinata happily, "Happy Birthday, Sasuke."

Dark eyes secured to the two sets of earphones on his hands. He utterly didn't know what to respond. This was unexpected.. seeing he'd just registered he hadn't been wearing one lately, as what Hinata had noted. Hinata was always present near him enough to know the fact that earphones had been an essential in his daily hustles; he could only listening to music with earphones on and he could only –persistently—studying with music on.

Or so he thought.

Something—someone—had definitely occupied his mind profoundly he wasn't in his right mind. He impossibly forgot his damn earphones whereabouts.

And thanks to that, he legitimately needed one.

"Thanks, I needed them," he said, facing her in the eye this time, wherein he instantly regretted it. It was that satisfaction smile again from the C. B. Strike series. The very smile that had him almost kiss—

"Wait a moment," he said abruptly yet nonchalantly then he turned away. "I'm gonna put this inside."

"Sure thing." Sasuke heard her say, wasn't aware if she was still smiling or not. He wasn't interested to find out.

Coming back to Hinata in the next minute, he closed the door behind and started to jog with her. They stopped at the nearest corner to execute their usual warm ups.

"Neji has to leave the house early," said Hinata, pulling one knee close to her chest. "It will be next week. Poor clinical student."

Sasuke was reaching the ground with the tip of his fingers, bending over. He tilted his head for a better view of Hinata; catching only the sight of her high ponytail.

"Good thing I drove my car here then."

Hinata smiled. "Agreed."

__________

The familiar fields lining yet again the familiar highway came into view. The radio buzzed, losing its signal. A hand reached out to adjust into music mode; the sound of soft rhythmic guitar filling the inside of the car, greatly appreciated by the two occupants.