O5: Get Smart

Chris

"Aye watch where you goin' chick!" some nigga yelled at Zee when she accidentally bumped into him. I could see it in her face that she was gonna apologize before he yelled at her, but now she looked pissed.

"Nigga who the fu-- calm down, Ezekiel. He don't want it girl, I swear he don't." she said to herself trying to calm down. I laughed at her.

"Bring yo crazy ass on." she followed me as I walked through the doors of the school and into the office.

"I got a friend shadowin' me to see if she wanna go here." I told the counselor as I gestured towards Zee.

"Okay sweetie, what grade are you in ?" she asked Zee.

"Umm.." she scratched her head, "actually, I dropped out in the 9th grade. I don't really know where that would put me now."

"Hmm, okay. Well are you willing to take an aptitude test?"

"Yeah, I guess." Zeek shrugged.

"Alright, follow me." she said as she motioned for us to follow her behind the desk. "These typically don't take long; maybe 30 minutes to an hour. That's only one class period so I'll allow you to sit and wait on her if you'd like." she told me as she led us into this room with a big conference table.

"That's coo, I got stage craft first and second block anyway." I shrugged.

She sat a laptop in front of Zeek before typing a few things on it. "The instructions are pretty straightforward. The test is probably half and half; half common sense, half school curriculum. After I get your results, I should be able to tell where you should be academically." she smiled at Zee before pulling me out the room and shutting the door.

"You can wait right here." she led me to a lineup of chairs against a wall not far from the room. I took a seat and waited patiently.

***

"How you think you did?" I asked Ezekiel after she finished. We were sitting in the counselor's office waiting on the results of the test.

"I think I bombed it. That test seemed way too easy. Ain't no way."

I chuckled, "You so damn negative."

"You so damn negative." she mocked me.

"Don't start." I scolded.

"Don't start." I started to say something but the counselor walked in so I just narrowed my eyes at her.

"Well Ezekiel, lovely name by the way, you did phenomenal on the test. We grade it a lot similar to the ACTs and out of the possible 36 you could have scored, you made a 32. Great job." she smiled, handing Zee a sheet of paper.

"Damn." Zee mumbled, "You sho' this mine?" she asked as she looked up from the paper with a confused look.

"Positive. You scored in such a high percentile that I'm pretty sure if you never dropped out, you would've graduated a year or two early."

"Damn." I mumbled. She was smart as hell.

"If you do decide that this is where you want to be, we'll be glad to accept you as a senior for the rest of the year sweetie." she smiled, "As of today, feel free to go by Christopher's schedule. Here's a pass so you won't have any problems with the teachers."

***

"Who woulda known you actually got something up there." I laughed as Zee mugged me. It was after school and we were hungry as hell, so we decided to go into the city and eat at The Flying Fish. They had some bomb ass seafood.