Chapter two

"My name?" You, the (h/c) girl replied back, your mind going utterly blank by the emotionless but still stunning look he gave you just then. The compartment jittered on the train tracks as you stepped closer to the lone blonde sitting in the corner closest to the window. You still couldn't believe you were really here, was this just some obscure dream? Some of the people you had seen-especially the kid in front of you- seemed like they were just a wisp of smoke in a clear blue sky, nothing seemed grounded about any of them. Maybe you were just over reacting.

    "Yes, or to put it more simply for you, who are you? You're most defiantly not a Slytherin or I would know who you are," The boy replied as if it were the easiest thing to understand in the world, with his head resting on the open palm of his hand which balanced perfectly on the window sill. His eyes flitted over your figure lazily now as if this conversation had already ended, his laid-back attitude was adding to your already on edge nerves.

    "Of course I'm not a 'Slytherin' you blundering dog!" You hissed out the first thing that came to mind, immiedietly regretting it afterwords. The boy looked surprised for a minute before rolling his eyes and brushing off your sudden out burst like you were just some crazy person. The way he was acting like the king of the Earth both irked and intrigued you. "I'm a Cattus,"

    "A what?!" His eyes brightened as he turned back to you, his face scribbled with a mixture of confusion,curiosity and disgust. You assumed immediately that the vile look and tone he used was because he didn't know what you were talking about, that must've felt really foreign to him.

    "My name is (Name) (L.Name) and I just transferred to Hogwarts this year. N' till the sorting-" You paused momentarily, scrutinizing the blank look on the kid's face, "sorting object chooses my new house, I'm still a loyal Cattus," You explained with a hint of smugness making it's way into your voice. You then reached beneath your sweater and pulled out the black and sunflower colored striped scarf to show the house crest stitched to the black square at the very end of the scarf. The self-proclaimed, or so you figured, Slytherin squinted at the object you were holding out but still wasn't able to see it with you basically cowering in front of the door. A minute later he motioned you over with a slender finger due to frustration. He seemed to put aside his earlier rudeness and gingerly took the edge between his thumb and forefinger. You started to think he had been so careful with it because he had observed how you held it so lovingly.

    'Oops. . . I might have lied to him earlier,' you thought, just looking at the treasure was enough to make you wish you weren't even here anymore. 'I might still be loyal to Cattus no matter what house they decide to put me in,' you thought while (E/C) orbs flickered down to study the checkered background of the insignia. The house animal was also stitched atop the shield. It was a black cat, with it's tail hanging in a crescent moon shape beneath it's paws with it's head tilted side ways so it had one silver and one gold eye. Since those were the house colors. You were starting to slip into old memories of meeting Robyn and such when they were all brought to the close by the boy sitting knee-to-knee with you asking you something all to familiar,

    "Pure blood, Half-blood or mud-blood?" He asked, eying you coldly. It only took you a moment to formulate an impressive answer that you were proud to call your own,

    "I wouldn't hold my head up high if I wasn't,dog," You stated proudly, flipping some of your hair out of your face before realizing you said dog. 'Oops,' was all your brain could offer as condolences for your screw up. The insult, at least to you, hadn't affected him that much, it might've even made the smirk on his face from your answer grow.

    "Why do you keep saying 'dog' like it's an insult? I am more of a cat person, I'll admit, but?" He asked his voice falling from the original snidely spoken words to something neutral, his head tilting slightly to the side and looking at you with an actually interested look on his face. You were taken aback at the blunt question about you of all people, something important to you.

    "Well. . ." You started carefully, "At Waverly-where I came from- there are four houses. Cattus is represented as a cat, Canis's a dog, Draco would obviously be a dragon and Mus is mouse. Dog is an insult amongst my house because Canis is the stupidest out of the four,"

    "I see, they sound like Gryffindor's" Came your very short reply, he tapped his chin with his free index finger, his cobalt eyes pointing upwards at yours even though his head was still slightly bent down. "Did you say that one of those houses was called 'Draco'?" A devilishly mischievous grin sprouted on his pale face as he subconsciously leaned closer to your own visage.   

    "Yeah," You gulped, furrowing your brows as you leaned backwards to avoid your noses touching. Who knows what color you'd turn if that happened.

    "Funny coincidence, my name's Draco," The significance clicked and you couldn't help but laugh a little, it was a queer name but you wouldn't judge him. Well, maybe just a bit.

    "Be glad you're going to this Hogwarts, Dragon boy," You chuckled,before you could stop yourself, so caught up in the moment where you felt like everything was going to be alright that you said something that might've shattered that slim chance. The roguish grin falling from his face faster than you had time to process your own words, he flipped the edge of the scarf in your direction as if it had burned him. You winced slightly but your worries melted away when the smug smirk returned to his face,

    "Don't push your luck, kitten, we still don't know what house you're in," He said his voice tinged with teasing but his faced turned serious before he turned muttering something incoherent to himself.You snorted angrily at the pet name, hopefully he'd only use it this once. You moved towards the other side of the compartment closer to the door, crossing your arms over your chest as you looked out the window with your head resting lazily on the rattling wall.

    "What year are you?" Draco asked breaking the almost-silence filling the miniscule space, he glanced back at you with his lips set in a thin line.

    "Um-" You muttered, trying to count up the weeks in your head before giving up and turning to your fingers to count up each week and multiply, "Week 156, so year three?" You said, looking at him for confirmation but he seemed to take your word for it.

    "Good," was all he said, turning back to his original position and leaving you wondering why he asked that.

    "Why?"

    "That's my year too," Was all he said, flashing you a bone chilling smile, one that sent tingles up your spine in the most unpleasant way. You shivered but turned it into a shrug, just brushing it off as something he did all the time. You didn't want to sit here in silence and yet you were almost afraid to ask him anything but you really didn't want to be in the dark when you got to the actual school, so you mustered up some courage and went to strike up a conversation about the other houses.

     Before you could however the car's door was flung open,creating a racket like banging pots and pans, by perfectly manicured and polished fingers and and a giddy face popped in that took you by complete surprise. You could have sworn on your dear father's grave that the girl barging in was the offspring of a human,pig and those adorable little pugs your old neighbors owned. It wasn't until she opened her swollen red lips did you snap out of your slight daze,

    "Oh, Dracy-Poo!" She squealed, you blinked dumbly at her before your head lolled towards 'Dracy-Poo' with both eyebrows raised up as if to ask him what in the good name of anyone decent would have let them call them. . . 'that'.

    "Oh, hi, Pansy," His voice holding the up most sincerity he could manage after Pansy's rather embarrassing nickname for him. They weren't dating and he was trying to avoid her more often than not.

    "Who's this?" 'Pansy' stated in a sugary sweet tone, her smile faltering for only a moment. You rolled your eyes but offered her a lopsided smile, you had seen your fair share of girls like her. You could tell right now that she felt threatened, this Pansy squeezed herself into the compartment, lips puckered out as she stood awkwardly in the middle of the seats. As if waiting for you to get up or offer for her to take your seat, instead, you looked up at her with innocent (E/c) eyes, just daring her to tell you to move an inch.

    "Well? Are you going to sit down or just stand there the entire ride?" Draco snapped, clearly all his patience had dribbled away from your earlier conversation or just the girl's presence in general, you couldn't be certain of either yet. The really interesting thing though was when the girl whimpered lowly, obeying by flopping her bosom on the opposite side of seats from Draco and yourself.

    "I'm (Name)-"

    "Never heard of you, are you a Ravenclaw? Those folks are so anti-social, don't you think Draco? or a Hufflepuff, they're so shy!" Pansy rudely blabbed, interrupting your introduction. You just huffed waiting politely for her to finish, first impressions made a difference didn't they? Her voice was almost similar to muggle sirens and you hated those gosh darn things.

    "Pansy," Draco groaned, his fingers deftly working at his temples as if to signify his displeasure with her speaking so loudly in such a small space,he shot a glare in her direction when he opened his eyes again. Pansy withered like a dying flower under the stern, commanding gaze of Draco. You felt yourself pushing slowly closer into the corner, his aura at the moment enough to wish you had picked a completely empty compartment. You forced yourself to keep a neutral look, you didn't need to look like a coward in front of these two, especially the pug face named Pansy. Besides, Draco seemed to like you well enough, even if it may or may not of been a ploy, it made you feel the slightest better to know you might have someone to fall back on.

    When you were sure you were safe to continue you spoke up,

    "I'm, (Name) (L.Name), the new transfer student,"

    "What year?" Pansy spoke quietly, but it was still loud enough to hear the hopefulness of her voice. You could barely hold back a snicker while you just shook your head,

    "Year three," you tried to keep your reply curt, but it might've sounded a bit snooty.

    "Hm," Was all she replied with, before glancing down at your hands balled into fists around the soft fabric of your prized possession. "What's with the scarf?" She was nosy, and you didn't just mean she had a huge nose.

    Looking down at your lap to confirm her sentence, you were indeed clutching onto the scarf like it was your only life line. You exhaled sharply, smirking slightly to keep your confident look on par,

    "Nothing,"

    'Oh' her mouth making a small 'o' shape as the breath left her lungs. She pointed her pudgy nose up into the air as she turned to look outside of the sliding glass doors only to see a blonde with a similarly posh looking attire. She leaped up, more than eager to get away from you,

    "Oh, there's Amber, Bye Dracie! And company," She said, waving at you meekly while Draco got a full on fan. You both rolled your eyes simultaneously, which as soon as Pansy had burst through the portal and onto the other side had to be giggled about.

    "And I thought Dragon boy was insulting," You snickered, to which you got a indignant snort in reply. He wasn't going to be talking to you for a little while now, you deduced when he pulled his knees up to his chest and continued to look out the window with little interest in you. Curling up in your new little corner, you sighed softly, tugging at the fabric around your neck until it came off enough to be held in your hands with the soft fabric rubbing up against your slightly damp palms.

    The ride lasted until night fall, which you hadn't expected and it made your normally bright eyes darken and eventually close before being jolted awake seconds later when your body decided to have a fit. You were just about to fall asleep again, maybe for good, when the train suddenly stopped, throwing you forward and onto the floor.

    "Smooth," A calm but still recognizably groggy voice said, following by a yawn as you tried to figure out which was was up. Groaning as your hand went to your head to rub the sore spot now present on your skull,

    "I know right?" You mumbled back sarcastically, sitting up so that you could look up at him properly. You almost fell back again when you saw his hand out stretched to you, but his eyes were looking up boredly,

    "I don't have all day, new girl," Draco said growing impatient rather quickly,

     Blushing a little with embarrassment and the contact you took his hand and let him pull you up.Thank God you weren't wearing a skirt and giving him a pretty good view of your crotch.

    "Thanks,"

    "Mhm," He mumbled, shooing you out the door which you obliged. Outside the door people were already flooding out of every nook and cranny and grouping together in one large,pulsating mass of noise. The clinking of cages,squawking of all kinds of animals and people yammering about nonsense you couldn't understand bombarded your poor ears as you were pushed through the thresh hold and into utter madness. You were basically shoved along only daring to move several steps at a time in fear of falling onto the ground and being trampled to death. Your comfort zone was a big zone, you'll admit, but maybe seeing as all these people were strangers just made it all the more uncomfortable!

    "Stick close,kitten, you're pretty accident prone," You hear a sneaky, sly whisper in your ear that made you jerk backwards, nearly colliding with the owner of the sultry voice and many other passer by's as you managed to walk backwards, using someone in front of you's back as a support beam, looking straight at the blonde.

    "How long are you going to call me that?" You hissed, feeling your face flush as you scowled at him.

    "Till' I decide not to, now come on," He commanded, grabbing your hand and tugging you forward through a gap in the endless crowd of faces,

    'Why me of all people. . .' you thought, internally face palming at your decision to choose him as your first acquaintance, but oh well, he seemed to know what he was doing. At least you could hope this was going to go alright for you.