Chapter One | Insolence

Beginne am Anfang

"Where did you find her?"

It was Martin, his butler who answered. "Near the stables, Your Grace."

James nodded; his eyes still trained upon the young woman on the cot. Her eyes were closed, mud and dirt caking her hair. Her clothes were drenched and torn in places making the scraps and cuts more visible. He did not know what happened to her and how she'd found his isolated estate, but he knew that if she died now, it would be under his watch—thanks to his foolish servants who'd taken in the stray.

"Hutton," his valet stood straighter at the sound of his name. "Wake up one of the groomsmen and ride alongside him to the village. Summon whatever apothecary is residing there."

Hutton bowed before taking his leave, his valet did not question being sent out in the rain. If they created the mess, they were going to be responsible for cleaning it up as well. A physician would have been better to tend to the woman however he knew at this hour, it would be impossible to find one. He would send out a missive for one later—once he knew the woman would survive the night.

"Mrs. Shire, what do you think is wrong with her?"

His housekeeper met his gaze, and the words were solemn. "She's been on the road for quite sometime based on the scrapes. I am not sure if the infection has spread but she has a high fever as well—probably from being out in the rain too long."

James nodded, "Keep changing the cloth on her forehead until the apothecary arrives."

He seated himself on a chair and looked around the room. Most of the servants had fled but a few chamber maids remained as Mrs. Shire directed them. His gaze met that of his butler and because of years training, seconds later Martin was in front of him.

"Get me a glass of brandy, will you?"

His butler nodded, "Very well, Your Grace."

James settled into the chair getting as comfortable as he could, it looked as though it was going to be a long night.

***

The noise was the first thing that woke him up from the light slumber. Rubbing his eyes, he looked towards the door to see Hutton and another male behind him. Both were drenched, presumably from the rain. James stood up as Hutton made the introduction.

"Your Grace, this is Mr. Ballard, he is a physician."

Splendid. If the physician had arrived in place of an apothecary, it would save him time tomorrow. James cocked an eyebrow, "I didn't expect a physician to reside in a small village of Dulverton."

Ballard shrugged out of his coat and gave James a tight smile. "Fortunately enough, I was visiting my sister when your valet happened upon me."

James gestured towards the cot where Mrs. Shrine and his other servants had stepped a respectable distance away. Ballard walked towards the woman before he glanced at the crowd, "May I please have some space?"

James tilted his head towards the door and the servants all fled, leaving only him and the doctor. James watched as the man poked and prodded the woman.

He cleaned the cuts that were visible with some solution he'd brought before wrapping them tightly in a cloth.

"Will she ever wake up?"

"It is too early to say, Your Grace. The fever is high but because she is unconscious, I cannot give her any medication."

James snorted, "Is there anything you can do?"

Ballard shook his head. "Medicine can perform a great number of miracles, but it has it's limitations. In this instance, it is up to the body to heal itself."

"So, we just wait to see if she dies?"

The physician shot him a sympathetic glance, "You cannot control everything in this world, Your Grace."

James ignored him and stormed out of the room. It had been a waste of his time to call the man, it was clear he had no knowledge of medicine. His butler, Martin stood dutifully right outside the room. "Summon another physician, I do not care if they have to be dragged from their beds, make sure they come here in haste."

"Very well Your Grace, what should I do about the other physician?" He gestured towards the room.

"Pay him twenty-shillings and let him be on his way."

The weather was terrible, and it was cruel of James to send the man out in the rain, but it was clear that he was a fraud. If there was one trait, he hated more than anything—it was liars. Not waiting to see if his orders were being followed, James retired to his bed chambers. He needed a cool head and rest for when the next physician would arrive.

--------------

Hello! Welcome to the first chapter of The Forgotten Duchess posted on my 7 year Wattpad anniversary. Can't believe it has been so long! What did you think of the first chapter? Feelings on James? Please feel free to vote and comment if you like the chapter. Updates will be weekly!