Chapter 5

Marinette went to bed exhausted that night. However, she was kept up by her thoughts that had gone into over drive. Her parents had put her straight to work in their bakery, which she didn't mind helping out with normally. She loved baking after all. The fun she had with her dad making new pastries, the connection that it created between all of her family members, the later meaning even more since Marinette had been able to renew the bonds between her father and grandfather. There was nothing that made Marinette cheer up more than baking.

Today however, Marinette thought in her bed, had felt like unfair, unjust punishment. She had hated every moment of it. Lila had unknowingly gained another victory. She had corrupted, tainted Marinette's hobby and connection to baking with malicious feelings and resentment. This was unforgiveable.

Marinette had received many texts over the course of the day from her friends, most of which had been hurtful. The friends she had valued so much, who she had for the most part, grown up with, had turned on her. Accusing her of the staged theft, telling her to stay away from them, to never contact them again. This made Marinette wonder if her parents would have acted the same if she hadn't been their daughter. There were only four people who texted her who gave her any reassurance. They were Luka, Juleka, Alya and Adrien.

Alya had called offering to help clear her name, but she refused to believe that Lila could have done it. Luka and Juleka had phoned her a little after the bakery had closed to tell her everything that, since Juleka had been in the girls toilets when Lila had threatened Marinette, she had witnessed it and how they would try and run interference at the school to try and fix things. Marinette asked them to stay out of it. Adrien had texted her multiple times, saying he had fixed it, wishing he'd spoken up sooner. But Marinette couldn't think of anything to reply with. Therefore those messages went unanswered.

That was until Adrien showed up in the bakery asking to talk to her. Her parents allowed Adrien to speak to her. It hadn't been a long conversation. Adrien had started to say something when Marinette had stopped him.

"I read the messages." Marinette had informed him, sadness in her voice, "I am thankful that you have tried Adrien, but I don't think it will work. In fact, I would prefer it if you don't do anything else. What's done is done. I'll go to a new school. Lila has won masterfully and it is all I can do to keep my emotions under control. Please don't make things worse for yourself on my account. I should have backed off when she had told me. Please leave, I have to help in the bakery." 

Marinette had made to enter the bakery, but had been stopped by Adrien catching her arm.

"She threatened you before all this?" Adrien had asked her, at the time she hadn't registered the hint of anger in his voice, "Marinette why didn't you tell anyone? Why didn't you tell me?"

"Who would have believed me other than you?" Marinette answered, "Besides, when she had threatened me, I didn't know that you knew. Also I could only barely say anything in front of you." Marinette pulled her arm out of Adrien's grasp. "Don't dirty your image on my account." Marinette then refused to talk to Adrien anymore, returning to the bakery, informing her parents that she had finished talking to Adrien. She also refused to take Adrien's calls.

"Marinette," came Tikki's soft voice, tentatively from the shelve above Marinette's bed, "please, talk to someone. You are vulnerable right now. This is a very dangerous time for everyone. Please talk to me."

"I have nothing to say Tikki," Marinette said monotonously, "let me sleep."

"Talk to me Marinette," Tikki begged fearfully, "if not for yourself, then for Paris, for your friends."

"What friends? She has most of them wrapped around her little finger. Talking won't change that." Marinette stated a tear rolling silently down her cheek.

"Talking will help you expel your negative emotions." Tikki reasoned.

"Good night Tikki." Marinette snapped, making it clear to the kawami that her friend wasn't going to say anything.

Adrien paced around his large room. He was unable to sleep.  Marinette wasn't taking his calls. He didn't know what to do. He couldn't understand why Marinette pushing him away was hurting him so badly. Hopefully Lila would keep her promise to fix everything, but he doubted it. He had to fix things.

"Stop pacing," Plagg moaned from the top of the coffee table, holding a piece of Camembert, "you are making it hard for me to eat my cheese."

"But she won't answer me Plagg." Adrien retorted concerned. "She has always answered my calls before. I'm worried."

"Why does this bother you so much?" Plagg asked playfully.

"Because she's my good friend." Adrien answered a little angered as it should have been obvious.

"But the last time you got this worked up it was because Ladybug wasn't responding to you." Plagg said, "Are you sure she is just your friend?"

"Yes," Adrien snapped, unable to believe Plagg was making him say it again, "I'm in love with Ladybug."

"Ok." Plagg said raising his little arms, "If you are that concerned for Marinette, have you tried Alya? Surely Marinette's best friend would know how she is." Adrien smiled at Plagg, as he ran to get his phone.

He quickly scrolled through his contacts list to Alya's number.

"Hello?" Alya's voice answered after the second ring.

"Hi Alya, have you heard from Marinette?" Adrien asked impatiently tapping his foot on the floor.

"Oh hi Adrien." Alya said, "Yeah, me, Luka and Jules just ended a video chat with her. She's just gone to bed. You sound concerned."

"She isn't answering my calls. I was just wondering how she was." Adrien replied, his heart clenching in pain like he had never felt before. Was Plagg right after all? Did he really love Marinette.

"Are you alright, Adrien?" Alya asked, "You seem upset."

"Yeah, I'm fine. Thanks for letting me know." Adrien hung up. He feel to his knees. He felt like he could hardly breathe. Marinette was avoiding him. "I've lost her." Adrien whispered to himself, clutching at his chest, which felt like a large hole had been torn from within his heart. He didn't even notice that he was sobbing. Plagg flew over immediately.

"Adrien, what's wrong?" the cat kawami  asked.

"She's avoiding me, Plagg." Adrien answered his voice almost inaudible, "I think I'm losing her."

"Marinette?" Plagg asked for confirmation.

"It hurts, Plagg." Adrien answered nodding his affirmative. "I think you are right. I've been in love with Mari since the umbrella thing. I just didn't notice because of my feelings for Ladybug. And now I'm losing her, and it feels like I've lost a part of myself."

"There is hope, Adrien." Plagg said softly, "Lila said she would fix things if you would be her friend. I think she will."

Adrien couldn't answer. He was lost in his own regret at not seeing the truth sooner. Then he was taken by an impulsive idea. He was going to speak to Marinette again, one way or another, and he was going to tell her how he felt. He had to try after all. It was this resolve that gave Adrien the strength to get into his bed. 

As Adrien slept that night he dreamt of the girl of his dreams, only now it wasn't Ladybug. The girl of his dreams was Marinette.