I've always heard that co-parenting could be hard especially for young parents, but I just never thought this moment would come for us. We were handling everything pretty okay if I say so myself.

"I can't take Laney away from you, so I thought we could switch the schedule around."

"What?"

"I need time to settle in Winterthrop and at my new job, Laney is better off here with you, in Stockton. My parents are twenty minutes away if you need anything also." Shocked. I'm just shocked right now.

This is such a major change for everyone and I glance back to look at my unknowing son so engrossed in the game he's playing.

"Wow Renee, that's uhm that's quite different."

What the fuck? That's all I can say to all this? But really it is, I guess the suddenness of it all was just getting me uncoordinated.

"Come here." I use the pads of my thumbs to wipe away the tears on her face, pulling her back into my arms gently. I don't know what else to do but to hold her as she let out the vulnerability she was feeling, letting herself slump in my arms.

It was just like old times, uncomplicated and easy.

Selfishly a part of me wanted 'easy' back, because it was easy. It's was hassle free, smooth and whatever other adjectives out there describes the absence of complications.

"We've got this." I whisper gravelly. Renee threads her hand with mine and like an anchor, she squeezes tightly.

"Dada I want hugs too." Laney whines from inside the truck where he's presently lounged, his small hands already extended towards me. I open the door and hoist him from the car seat, his head quickly nuzzling my neck.

We resembled a family.

+
+
+
+

Hunter

"Why is Vardan putting us in such a tough position?"
Cross asks.

Ever since Luke had the genius idea to involve the Armenians sworn enemy, the Mexican Cartel in our search for the guns, hell has broken loose between us and the Armenians.

Two days ago Capitan had been attacked at his old lady's house, talk about catching him with his pants down. He'd barely escaped with flesh injuries.

Vardan has made his demands clear, he wanted the head of the Mexican Cartel's leader courtesy of the Devil's Sons.

Everyone was staring at Luke since this was his bright idea that has now boomeranged in our faces.

It's a suicide mission to even think about killing the cartel's leader, we'd have a better chance of surviving the apocalypse.

Already Vardan has cut off drug supply to us so we were running short on cash, something had to be done fast.

"What if we don't have to do the dirty work, we know someone willing and ready to do it for us." I explain.

However, Capitan who has been real quiet since this meeting suddenly bangs his fist on the table, stands quickly and exits the inner room. Disappointment in his eyes as he leaves. "I'll go talk to him." I don't wait to be acknowledged as I follow the slightly limping man.

I catch up with him, although I think he wanted that. I light up a cigarette before speaking "I know this is hard on you."

He sends me a stare as if to say 'I don't believe you' before scoffing. "Trust me you don't."

"I know he's your brother." The term brother being loose and not necessarily biological.

"So you know how killing him sounds." I pass the cigarette to him and he takes a huge drag. "Makes me a snake." He says with a tired voice.

"We're not laying a finger on him.... Guerrero is." The shock is evident on his face as he stares at me.

"I can't believe this is you hermano, shit you've changed." Disappointment swirls in his orbs as he takes me in. "Killing is not you, it was never your thing. But now you're turning mi familia against each other like some pawns in a game, where's the real you man?"

The real me, the real me? Funny he asks that. The real me is a depressed asshole, a motherfucking piece of shit who happens to screw up everything and anyone around me.

"Maybe I'm just trying to keep everyone alive, maybe I'm just trying to protect me and my own. Maybe     just maybe, I'm trying to fix the shit we've gotten ourselves into." I tug the strands of my hair angrily.

Shit has hit the fan and even burst through the ceiling now.

"You love him." Is the reply I get.

"What?"

He looks at me like I've lost my brain cells "JJ, you love him."

Pfft how did he get that from what I just said?

I mean I do care about JJ, like it pisses me off when he's sad, he's cute, sexy and adorable mixed in one when he's not being mildly annoying, he's tolerably clingy, an awesome cook, feisty redhead, good heart, awesome in bed, the list goes on. And maybe I do care for the little excitable one and the ever annoying girl but that's just normal.

"His safety tickles your dark side." What? Why was my body heating up? "Some shit huh?"

I release an embarrassed chuckle. "Yeah"

"Everything's been upside down for a while now, mamba is always missing at meetings, O'Reilly is practically the Vice president now because you're in a silent duel with the Luke. I miss the easy times."

I snatch the stick of cigarette from Capitan and take a huge puff of it, having no reply to his observation.

"You can't talk me into it hermano, I want no part in killing him. Be ready for the bloodbath that comes with it however."

With that he pulls away from the wall we're rested against and marches to his motorcycle. Not in the mood for anything else, I make my way over to my Harley and begin the drive home.