Chapter twenty three

Everything stopped when he pressed his lips against mine softly. I stayed still for the surprise, maybe Oliver was expecting someone as expert as the other Amelie was. But I am not like that.

I follow the kiss, my heart beating so strong in my chest that I think it's gonna get out of it. For a moment I'm genuinely scared it might decide to escape, tired of beating that much.

I put my hands in his face and caress him softly. The kiss is sweet and soft. The time when we separate arrives.

His eyes are closed and, when he opens them, he does it widely. Like if he had just realized what he had done.

I know what he must be thinking.

Something like: 'oh no, I've kissed Amelie, the dick who hurted Chris.'

He gets away from me like if I had ebola.

Anyway, how is the ebola spread? Are diseases the same in both realities?

"Hum... I... don't know why I've done this." He scratches his head. "I'm sorry, but it was a mistake."

Even though I don't feel responsable for my other self's actions, I can't help but letting the humiliation run through my being.

Who understands him? Why does he kiss me if he hates me? Does that mean he likes me? Or not?

I decide to act like if I didn't care.

"It's fine" I say.

"I'm sorry" he repeats.

I turn around and walk back home with the low dignity I have left, and full of mud.

I put my clothes on the washer and take a shower.

Before going to sleep, I text Francis.

Me:
Hey kid! Our politic's teacher asked me to take Jamie to the M march tomorrow to talk about his case.
He has a better relationship with you c:
Can u convince him and we meet at 15 in my house?
Plz.

Crazyfran:
You know its easier to teach an hippopotamus how to fly than making jamie want to come.
But ill make an effort on school.

Me:
Really?? You're great!! Oh, and if u can talk to Oliver as well it would be amazing :p

Crazyfran:
But Oliver doesnt even like me!!! He's your friend.

Me:
Things happened. He never liked me or we were friends either.♡

Crazyfran:
Fine. I will. But you owe me 1ne.

----------------------------○-----------------------------

Next day, I am in the basketball court.

I decided to change of sport due to I am awful at american football, and it is full of people who don't want me.

I am also a mess in basketball anyway but there were not too many options.

Apparently, the other Amelie and she was good at this because everybody waves at me and act like if they were glad to have me on the team, as if I was going to help them win.

If only they knew...

Anyway, why did the other Amelie had to be so good at everything?

Maybe the smartest thing would be leave every sport and fail gym. I hate people having high expectations on me.

I made sure I dissapointed them after a few minutes of a game, when they watched me play.

After the game was over, all of the players started taking their T-shirts off because of the high temperature.

I get surprised to the fact that no one is wearing a bra.

That calls no one's attention, they do it as if it was the most normal thing. Some of them use the shirt to clean their sweat of nape of their neck. Everybody starts to go to the showers.

"What is wrong? You're standing like if you had seen a ghost or something." A girl says with her team's shirt over her shoulders, with her hands on her hip.

"Nobody is wearing a bra."

She puts a strange face. "A what? Let's go, you're all sweaty."

Bras must surely not exist in here then. That's why I didn't find any on my closet or Luke's.

I take a shower and start dressing up.

"Do you know where is the march today?" I ask.

They look at me. "Which march? The masculinist one?"

I nod.

"They're all crazy, showing their tits." They laugh. "Don't even bother to go, women are not welcomed there." The girl answers.

"Masculinits are usually old and ugly, and end up alone and with nine cats."

"Men complain, it's on their nature. How do you expect them not to do stupid march to make people stop whistling to them on the streets?"

I try to interfere "I think that's not actually what it is about..."

"Of course! They should fight for actual important stuff, like the proletariat's fight."

I sigh and leave, resigned to the fact they won't change.

I arrive home and drink a tea with my father. The bell rings.

When I open the door, I see Francis with a grumpy Jamie and an uncomfortable Oliver. He succeded with the mission.

The silence is awkward when we get on the underground. Nobody knows what to say.

I am kinda offended with Oliver, who is quiet and looking the other way, and Jamie seems to be pissed off with everyone.

The only person who does not radiate negativity in here is Francis, he tried to say some words but gave up after noticing no one would follow.

Are we being immature?

Suddenly, I remember that probably there's not a space for my gender in that protest.

Because in this reality I'm of the opressive gender.

How crazy.

From victim to a possible victimizer.

I guess I'll just take them with the teacher and then step aside, not because I don't like the movement, I just don't wanna be judged.

We get to the center of the city and we can hear a lot of rampage. Singing and yelling. We walk a couple streets and start to see the march.

I had been in places like this in my old world. Who would've thought I could live something like this?

There's a lot of boys walking towards the main street, with violet flags, some of them without T-shirt, with their faces painted and with glitter.

They are shouting:

"Take the matriarchy down."