Chapter 3: When You Know

Start from the beginning

I marveled at her ability to act like everything was normal despite what she went through each night. Just another drop in the sea of things I liked about her...

She put on her clothes as I sat up, but she quickly came over and pushed me back down.

Lucina: Go back to sleep, Y/N. You need the rest.

I retaliated, trying to get back up again, but she kept me down.

Y/N: If anybody needs rest here, it's you!

Lucina: Look, you've let me rest a bit every day since my nightmares started. Don't think I don't see your fatigue settling in. It'll do you a world of good. And I have things to do! I'll be back later!

She smiled, kissed me on my cheek, and dashed out. I sunk back into the bed, hands resting by my sides. Maybe she was right... I did feel pretty drowsy...

--Lucina POV--
I stumbled through the camp, looking for Anna. Maybe I had lied to Y/N when I said I had to run some errands for her... But it was for his own good. Look- I didn't forget about his birthday- I just wanted to surprise him with a big birthday party, because he had never experienced one before.

Which was partly why I was going to meet Anna- I needed the ingredients for a cake I was going to make for him. Those were always the highlight of the parties I had as a kid...

Anna: Oh hey Lucina!

I looked over my shoulder to find Anna running towards me.

Lucina: Hey Anna!

Anna: I have what you want...

She had a creepy grin on her face, one I knew all too well. She was wondering how much I would pay her... I rolled my eyes and brought out my purse.

I counted five gold coins into her hand, and she smiled, satisfied. She handed me a bag of ingredients and stomped off.

Anna: Pleasure doing business with you!

Lucina: Thanks again!

Ingredients in hand, I started running to the village we had set up camp nearby. I'm sure I had seen a kitchen as we were passing through it... I just needed to ask if I could borrow it for a little while.

I walked through the town until my eyes settled on a small structure with a brick chimney jutting out of the side of it. I sighed in relief. I had found it!

I entered the kitchen, head swiveling sideways as I saw someone standing by a countertop.

Chef: Hello there! What brings you here?

Lucina: I was just wondering if I could borrow this kitchen... To bake a cake...

The chef smiled warmly and stood up.

Chef: Of course you can! I have a few things to do, so just clean up after yourself, and you'll be fine.

After the chef left me to my own devices, I went to work.

This wouldn't be that hard, right? It was just a matter of following instructions... I was good at that.

I opened the bag and organized the ingredients on the table. My heart sank as I realized- I only had one egg! And my recipe called for three... I'll just have to do without them... I massaged my temples in frustration. I wasn't sure how vital the eggs were to the recipe, but it didn't matter now. I had a limited amount of time, and there was still so much to be done!

I found an apron, put it on, and went to work, following a recipe I had found at a library scrawled down on a piece of paper. Soon enough, I had the batter ready. I smiled, relieved as I realized- this was easy!