1

:・゚☆ DEVINA HAD NEVER EXPECTED her life to end this way

:・゚☆ DEVINA HAD NEVER EXPECTED her life to end this way. She had lived a plentiful life though, she had to admit that at least - considering her friends were absolute crackheads, she'd had her fair share of partying and being a pain up the ass, which completely frustrated the hell out of her mother; her poor mother - what the hell will she do when she sees her daughters face on her television screen - BANK TELLER FOUND DEAD IN A DITCH IN ABILENE because she was an immensely unlucky piece of shit.

She didn't exactly have an instruction manual on getting out of situations like this one – she hated reading but if she knew she'd have a gun pointed at her head too early on a Monday morning, Devina gladly would've devoured 'Getting Out Of A Hostage Situation For Dummies' but unfortunately, you never know when situations like these come up.

Devina studied the man intently for a few moments. She hovered cautiously in front of the safe, stuck there like a deer in headlights. She had no idea what to do. She didn't want to scream or call for help because the man was standing in front of the door, cornering her in. She also knew how easy it was for him to pull the trigger – it was as easy as pressing a button on a remote and she also knew he would get away with it, no consequences, because bad people often get away with bad things.

Her father kept a gun in her home to defend himself and his family. He had only retrieved it once and Devina remembered being more terrified of the intruder than the gun – in fact, the gun was on her side then, even though it was only her brother sneaking home too late one night and accidentality causing a ruckus in the kitchen. Now, the gun wasn't on her side. The gun, his gun, was poised at her head and he was holding the soulless clunk of metal like he didn't even give a shit. He could've killed everyone in the reception like shooting down ducks at a carnival and felt not a single inch of remorse, no care in the world, no consequences.

Devina didn't know the man's next move. She stared into his icy eyes that held nothing in them, like cold slabs of slate and she clenched her teeth in a silent attempt to keep her tears in her eyes instead of down her cheeks.

"What do you want?" Her voice was so small she wasn't even sure if the man had heard it, wasn't even sure if she had even said it. His reply was quick, smooth and he gestured with his gun to the safe behind him.

"Step away from the safe." She knew it. He was here for the money, of course he was – why else would you find a thief in a bank? and of course, Devina had to be chilling in the only room that held the safe when the man had decided to make his appearance.

She hesitated for a moment before she scurried to one side, pressing her back up against the cold wall. The man's eyes followed her frame, clad in a navy blue uniform. Her shoulders were slumped, trembling and eyes cast down to the floor. She had heard in a nature documentary that predatory animals often tried to make themselves look bigger when threatened although Devina could never imagine herself standing up to him, so she allowed him to glower at her, something dancing in his eyes that she couldn't quite place.