Fire Emblem Fates: Undying Loyalty - Part 2

Part 2

Part 2

The scenery of Nohr… it is nothing compared to the beauty of Hoshido, forever to be bathed in sunlight as long as the royalty continues to rule over their fine kingdom.

But as for Nohr… it is dark and bleak. Back in Hoshido, where there are beautiful fields of freshly grown grass that blossoms newly born flowers… it isn’t the same in Nohr.

For Nohr, the grass is rather old; dry, wilting, and dying. The grass that should be a beautiful green was instead, a color fading to grey. And as for the flowers, barely any was painted across the landscape. Only a few white ones that had not died off yet.

But despite the fields lack of beauty compared to the kingdom bathed in sunlight and peace, Corrin still enjoyed sitting out here. And she couldn’t help it, seeing how this is the land she was raised in.

Sure, most of her life she was caged inside the castle walls, but it was still home; and forever engraved in Corrin’s heart as beautiful nevertheless.

Corrin sat alone in the grassy field on top of a small hill slope while sniffling and wiping away the constant tears forming in the corners of her eyes.

She hated these tears, for they make her weak. She needs to stay strong; for her family, for her army… and especially for Nohr while in bleak times they face.

If anyone catches sight of a sobbing princess of the kingdom of Nohr, in need of change, everyone’s moods will sink. Everyone’s hopes will falter. Moral will become vanquished. 

No good would come from it. So Corrin rushed to this field while trying to avoid interaction with any of the members of her army as much as possible so that she could be alone to dry her tears.

But Corrin would not have her way. Because without knowing, she was followed by a certain someone. A particular ninja; a man who has sworn undying loyalty to her multiple times over.

It was Kaze; and he saw Corrin storm out from the palace and off without batting an eye at the world. Kaze wasn’t doing much except for delivering important goods and needs to the strategy room.

But Kaze, instantly becoming worried and concerned as to what could have Corrin troubled, he places the boxes of cargo down and silently sneaks after her.

When realizing that his liege was crying, he decided to leave her a moment. But eventually, he couldn’t leave her alone for much longer. So he approaches and speaks up after a while.

“Lady Corrin… what may be troubling you?” Kaze asked Corrin as he kneeled down besides the surprised princess. She had not expected for Kaze to come out of the blue like this.

But then again, this was completely expected, for Corirn knew how silent, fast, and sneaky Kaze was; for he is a ninja.

“N-Nothing, it’s fine.” Corrin denies as she turns her attention away from the ninja’s concerned face and staring at the opposite direction.

But Kaze simply will not take that for an answer. “My lady, it is not nothing. Something has gone amidst. It is my duty to not only protect and support you, but to help you in your dire hour of need; and I’m here for you. You can rely on me; trust me. No matter how little or ginormance the problem may be, I’m willing to do whatever it takes to help aid you.” 

Hearing this much escape from her loyal retainer’s lips, Corrin knew that denying the truth from Kaze would no longer be of any use, and that he won’t accept any lies either.

Corrin lets out a sigh before explaining. “It’s just… my brother Xander… he… he made a treaty for war and sent a messenger to deliver it to the kingdom of Hoshido. And brother Ryoma read over it, and now… well, the two kingdoms will be at war.” Corrin was barely even able to spit out this single sentence, she hardly wanted to believe the news she originally heard her brother speak to her.

It was a painful truth and unfortunate decision to have occurred. And Corrin wished for things to be different; for everything to change, to become right. But now it never will…

“What?!” Gasped Kaze, nearly able to believe it as well. But as much as it shocked and pained him hearing the news, he knew it to be true, coming from his lord.

“So… Kaze. Your.... your free to leave. Your...f-free to return to your own country, your homeland. Not everyone gets that chance. But… your twin brother, everyone you left behind… they need you. There really is no good reason for you to stay here any longer. The reason you stayed, like me, was to change both Nohr and Hoshido from within. But now… that dream of ours we have been fighting to make come true… is crushed. It won’t ever come to be. Your loyalty lies not with me, but with Hoshido, your homeland. You should go.”

While half of what Corrin said was true, Kaze felt different. “But, Lady Corrin--” Kaze wanted to say how his loyalty doesn’t lie with Hoshido but with her, he was cut off. 

“Just go!” Corrin says, her gaze turned away, her voice rising in hopes that the man will leave as she wished.

Kaze opened his mouth to argue further, but decides to do as his liege command. “If that’s what you want… then I will leave. Thank you Lady Corrin… for trying to come up with a better resolution for both our kingdoms. I wish you well.”

Was Kaze’s final words before turning his back away to leave. Corrin was only just shouting for him to go, telling him to return to his loved ones back to his homeland… and yet, seeing Kaze leave… it made her heart ache.

Corrin suddenly felt the urge to chase after him; to stop him. But she only knew that doing so would be wrong. It would be selfish, but…

She can’t stand it.

She doesn’t want him to leave.

She doesn’t want him to go.

She doesn’t want to become enemies.

She doesn’t want to have to kill him.

She doesn’t want this.

Even if it was the right thing.

“Kaze!!” The ninja heard his name be cried out. But before he could turn his gaze around as he stopped in his tracks, he felt a weight colliding from behind.

Corrin had rushed over to Kaze and embraced him from behind. “I-I’m sorry! I-I-I’m so sorry! I know I just told you to return home, to your twin brother… to everyone. But...but… I don’t want you to leave. I-I want you to stay with me… b-by my side. I-I just… I-I can’t…. Please… don’t go-!!”

Corrin had been sobbing and breaking down as she pleaded to the man she only insisted to return to his home country a moment ago.

The very idea of never seeing each other again… and instead, as enemies pained her heart. She didn’t wish for things to be this way.

Kaze’s astonished reaction swiftly eased as he placed a hand on top of hers in reassurance. “No need to fear Lady Corrin. You mustn’t cry for any longer; I will stay. Even if neither side will listen or change… I’m sure together, we could find a way. And even if not, I swore to myself loyal to you and only you. I will not ever leave your side, as long as you so wish it. Because… we are meant to be together. And nothing could make me happier than to serve you, my liege.”