With You

the next day, you went to the hospital with your brother and Gou Ji

"I don't like these places."

Gou Ji was sitting on the patient table

"It's going to be over soon. Just need to take a few X-rays."

"What are X-rays?"

"it's like a picture. but of the inside of your body."

"that's weird."

they take her to a separate room to take her xrays. When they come back, Gou Ji plays with the toys in the corner as the doctor showed you X-Rays

"So...we have good. news and bad news."

your brother looked worried

"well...rather hear the bad news first so i feel even better when you say the good, I guess..."

"it's seems like she's swallowed something such as a toy, and it's stuck. Making It hard for her to digest food all the way."

as he shows you guys the X-Rays on his computer, your heart sank to your stomach and you can tell your brother was about to fall into tears

"Will she be okay?"

"That's the good news. She'll be fine. We can just do a simple surgery and she'll be perfectly healthy. Luckily we have an opening on saturday at 4 o'clock. Just try to feed her soft foods for now."

"H-How much would the surgery cost?"

He did some typing and told you guys the price. and shit, it wasn't cheap

"o-okay..."

"your insurance seems to cover a good portion of it."

"that's good..."

"We will give you a call with further details."

"Thank you."

you two leave. The ride home was silent. When your brother parked, he looked at Gou Ji napping in her car seat in the back through the mirror.

"Everything's going to be okay, GeGe..."

"But the money, Li Fang...Surgery...room fees...and then there's medicine and we have to keep the store open extra hours just to make up time that we lost over vacation and to pay for Gou Ji..."

"I can get another job. I can take the semester off too."

"no no no. You already work two jobs. I won't let you take time off school..."

"if your wife helped out just a little..."

"Lin Li Fang. Will you stop with that?"

"What does she do? Tell me. Her online business sucks. She's spent more money than earned. Her sale stocks haven't changed one bit. and it's damn holiday season and no one wants to buy from her. She barely takes care of her daughter and doesn't lift a pinky to clean a dish at home or to grab a mop in the store. Hell, i haven't seen your talk to your own wife in a long time...are you with her because you still love her...or because you love Gou Ji so much...you don't want her to go through what we went through?"