~~~

When Deku opened his eyes, he found himself staring laying in colorful blankets. His head felt clearer than it had in ages. The usual fog floating through his mind had been lifted. He blinked a couple of times, expecting for the clarity to fade away. It didn't. He sat up and looked at his hands, which were stained with blood.

"Oh!" His head snapped up. Sami stood in the doorway; a basket propped against her hip. "You're awake! How are you feeling?" Deku stared at her with wide eyes and nodded. "Good, good." She closed the door behind her and placed the basket next to herself as she kneeled in front of Deku. He looked at the wet cloth in the basket, trying to remember why he was bleeding. To his surprise, there was nothing stopping him from recalling being chased by a swarm of small white papers. He remembered smashing through a door and window to get away from Miku, because although she'd helped him escape, he was worried Onuka would find out and punish her. Or worse, he'd lose control and hurt her in his pained squirming. He didn't remember much after that, besides the taste of something rotting in his mouth.

Sami lifted the rag, asking for permission silently. He nodded, and as she cleaned his wounds, Deku asked, "What happened?"

"You stole something from Yao- a witch." Sami started.

"Yaoyorozu." Deku cut in. He knew without a doubt it was her he'd stolen from. Just as he knew that she was the witch that'd been in charge of the bathhouse before Onuka.

Sami raised her eyebrows. "You remember?" Deku nodded. "Interesting. Well, anyway, you were cursed, and Miku went to give the talisman back. I dragged you up here to take care of your wounds and bide my time till Onuka summons me to my impending doom."

"Miku left!?" Deku squeaked, trying to stand up. He found that the anxiety resting in his chest was comfortable, not unusual. Unfortunately, he was still a little weak and Sami placed a hand on his shoulder to get him to stand still.

"Relax, she'll be fine. She has a bit of magic of her own. Pure luck." Sami told him. "And I'm sure you'll be able to find her easily enough." Deku sighed and nodded. It was more important for his wounds to be cleaned right now. "More good news." Sami said, waving her free hand around. "Your wounds are almost gone. Handy spirit healing, huh?" He was hit with an overwhelming sense of familiarity, and this time when he chased it, he found what he was looking for. Memories of Sami's overwhelming positivity and optimism. They were small snippets, but they didn't hide from him. Deku gave her a small smile. A look of astonishment crossed her face. "Was that a smile?" She asked. "Miku must've really affected you."

A blush spread over his cheeks. Sami's jaw dropped. "A blush?" She quickly became serious. "Deku. Do you, by any chance, feel different, in any way? Sorry if that's invasive." She tacked onto the end.

Deku considered this last part. He had actual memories of Sami now, and he suspected that if he looked for them, he'd find more. More memories of everything in his life. Even his emotions didn't feel put of place anymore, which was absolutely euphoric after years of feeling like a stranger in his skin. So he confided in Sami.

She stayed silent until her was done, which he remembered was a big deal for her. When he finished, she quietly said, "Miku must've lifted some part of the contract for you."

"But I don't remember my name." Deku argued.

Sami shrugged. "Well, it had to be something Onuka did, and from what I understand, you had your name/identity signed away." She looked down at her hands, which were shaking. She sighed in annoyance before saying, "I guess the only thing that really matters is that you're remembering. You should get on your way."