~~~

The tower steps were ominous even to Deku, who'd walked up them a million times, probably more since he couldn't remember his past. They snaked upwards, and he shuddered every time he needed to go up to Onuka's room. He didn't really understand why he had to take these strange back ways, but he assumed it was because Onuka didn't want him to see something and have it spark a reminder of his past.

He walked up the stairs as slowly as he could get away with. Deku hated a lot of things about the bathhouse, but his least favorite part was Onuka. She was awful, an annoying brat mixed with pure evil. He knew that she had something to do with his missing past, but there was little he could do besides silently seethe and then do whatever she asked.

When he finally reached the top, he saw her waiting with her broom in her grasp. "I'm gonna be leaving for the day. Can you watch over the bathhouse?" She asked him, fake sweetness dripping from her voice. She didn't wait for an answer, flying off. Deku felt his mouth twitch downwards. Couldn't she at least pretend to care about his answer?

Either way, this was pretty convenient for Deku. This way he could help Miku without worrying about being caught. He immediately headed for the rooms. He found Miku with ease, carefully stepping over girls. His gaze lingered on Sami, who was resting next to Miku. He felt his gut twist with guilt. That was why he avoided her. Every time he saw her, all he saw was her pain, and he felt like he should help her. But he couldn't, obviously, so he avoided her. Even though he suspected Sami knew him, really knew him. Alas, asking her about his past would probably only end in her getting hurt. That's what happened to people who went against Onuka.

Deku shook it off and gently tapped on Miku's shoulder. "Meet me on the bridge." He whispered. Miku shifted slightly while he left.

He waited on the bridge in an antsy state. 'What if she didn't hear me? What if she heard me but doesn't trust me? I was a jerk to her yesterday.' He bit his lip in worry. Worry. That was a new emotion, although it felt well placed in his chest. He was apparently very anxiety filled. Deku fought back a groan. He was getting really annoyed with having to rediscover his personality, and Miku's appearance had only made it worse. Feelings had surfaced more regularly and more intensely than they had in a while.

Deku spotted her on the bridge. Miku had paused to look at something standing in the middle of it. He waited for her to get off the bridge, knowing that the possibility of someone finding them was lower once she got off bathhouse property. Miku walked the rest of the bridge slowly, seemingly taking in the landscape. It was a beautiful place, which is why spirits from all over the world came here to relax. Unfortunately, it was so beautiful that Miku got distracted and walked right past him.

"Miku." Deku whispered, lightly grabbing her elbow.

She jumped but turned to him with a smile on her face. "Deku! You, you scared me."

"Sorry." Deku mouthed, pulling her behind the gate. Miku followed him though the garden without hesitation. He wanted to make sure she didn't need anything else before Onuka returned and sent him on a mission. They sat down next to a bush and Deku pulled out some rice buns. "Here. I brought you some food."

Miku gladly took it. Deku had to force himself to stop watching her cute cheeks move with her bites. "Are you alright, Miku? Did anything happen to you yesterday when I left you?"

Miku looked at him from the corner of her eye. "Nothing really. But why did Onuka change my name?"

"It's how she controls people. Your name is your identity, so if you don't have your name..." Deku said.

Miku turned to him fully. "So you don't remember your name?"

Deku turned to her, meeting her eyes. "No. But I don't have a problem remembering yours." He gave her a small smile.

Miku didn't buy it. "So you don't remember your identity?"

Deku sighed and looked away. "No."

Miku took a deep breath, and fidgeted for a moment before say, "Listen, Deku, this is probably going to sound weird, but I... I'm pretty sure I knew you. Like, really knew you."

His head snapped up, heart speeding up. "Y-You too?" He stuttered.

Miku's eyebrows knit together. "You feel it too?" Deku nodded. He looked into her eyes, trying to read her expression. He had so many questions. How did we meet? Who is she? Why is she so important? Does she love me like I love her? "So, uh, I've gotta ask-" She said. "Do you have the same feeling about me? The, uh, love?"

Deku thought his heart would've jumped out of chest at those words, but instead it slowed into a regular rhythm, as if her confession was a calm, normal occurrence, instead of the best thing that Deku could remember ever happening. He realized that he hadn't responded, and breathed out a yes, leaned in, and pressed his lips against her cheeks. She didn't flinch away, but Deku noticed the way her breath hitched.

They sat there, staring at each other in mutual confusion and love for about five minutes before he cleared his throat and said, "You should get going. I'm sure the bathhouse will be opening soon."

"Yeah, yeah." Miku said, standing up and holding out a hand to him. Deku looked up at her, lost in the way the sun filtered through strands of hair framing her face. He shook his hand and grabbed her hand. It was soft, and fit perfectly in his, and he was struck with the realization that this was the first nice gesture he'd experienced that he could remember. Some guilt seeped into his heart when he came to the conclusion that Miku was the first person he'd been kind to that he could remember, as well.

After they parted ways, Deku flew into the sky, doing some air acrobatics in the air from joy.