Chapter One-Owen's POV

Start from the beginning

Mr. Lee and Mr. Taylor Jr. took over controls and navigated us to the surface.

We set up a perimeter, the Toma Team setting up five hundred yards across from us. Our perimeter consisted of electro-magnetic fields in the form of small black capsules that we could set upon the ground. When someone, or something, tripped the sensors, the field shoots up and forms an electric dome around us and our ships.

The guys were getting out, exploring the section we've claimed as our own while greeting their friends from the Toma team. It was great that we got along with them so easily. At one point in the past, we thought about combining our teams. Though we worked quite often together, we still were different. Our teams took on completely different tasks. I wasn't willing to put my boys in some of the situations the Toma team seemed to charge head-first into and vice versa. Mr. Toma felt we took things too easy. So we kept our team dynamic. Two separate teams, but willing to help one another at the drop of a hat. We considered ourselves brothers, just in different houses, yet closer than we were to other dog teams within the Academy. I knew if we ever had a problem, the Toma's wouldn't hesitate to offer assistance. And we were the same. No matter the case, we would be there for our brothers without questioning.

Drawn from my gazing of the planet, Mr. Toma made his way toward me after instructing his team members in what he wanted them to do before calling it a day. We didn't have much to do in regards to setting up. Our ships would act as our housing. With the perimeter set up, we wouldn't go out to explore until the next day. We would break off into two groups of three and two groups of four. Each group would head into a different direction: north, south, east, and west. They wouldn't be allowed to travel for more than a half a day's time before needing to return to camp. Depending on what is found will determine further instructions. We might set up camp in a different location or set up a more permanent camp in this local for when the other teams arrive.

"Mr. Toma, what can I do for you?"

"Owen, when will you just call me by my name?" he says in exasperation.

I know I should call my brothers by their first names, but I like the idea of control. There were many things in my young childhood out of my control, this is something that's easy to have authority over. It shows a level of respect. Gratitude. But while it is a personal preference, I know the boys feel like I am trying to distance myself from them. That isn't the case, yet I see their point. They are my family. The people I have chosen to call my own, but can't show them my emotions. Can't open up to them because of my own insecurities and other issues.

"You're right, Axel."

The name feels foreign on my tongue and I barely hold back a grimace as soon as I say it. By the smirk on his face though, it wasn't a very good effort.

"There ya go Owen Baby steps. It will feel natural the more you do it."

I huff an unamused laugh before turning back to the subject at hand.

"How was the flight?"

"No issues on our end. You guys?"

"Same. Everything went satisfactory. Do you have an estimate on when exactly the Anderson and Phillips team will be in orbit?"

"No later than three days."

I nod absentmindedly, watching idly as Luke and Gabriel chase Marc to his ship, no doubt in search of his signature coffee blend. Marc is well-known within the Academy for his coffee. It's an obsession of his. His Earth abilities enable him to come up with unique and hybrid combinations you can't find anywhere else.

Axel walks away, dismissing our conversation as complete, while I walk to where North and Silas are setting up our weapons cache. It's an arsenal basically due to the amount of team members, though North and Raven usually carry quite a few on their persons no matter the situation. Raven regularly doesn't leave the house without at least five weapons on his person. Though he claims this is because he is a "professional Russian," whatever that may be. I'm sure it has something to do with the hostile conditions of the mother country.

"Alright gentlemen. Finish up your duties and call it a night. North," I watch as he jerks his attention at me because of my use of his first name, but I don't acknowledge it, "if you can prepare dinner, along with Luke."

Luke looks over to acknowledge, while North nods his acceptance.

Without further instruction, the boys finish up their duties and begin winding down for the night. Seven days on the ship starts to take a toll, even if we have a spacious ship to walk around in, the feeling of being cooped up is a real thing. Some of them have a harder time than others, but it's always nice once we are able to get off and feel the fresh air on our skin.

After dinner, we climb back onto our respective ships and to our own rooms to call it a night. The morning light will bring a new day. 

***

(1538 word count)

Sorry it's so late! Got caught up at work today and then had church. But it's finally here!

Let me know what you guys think. 

Happy reading!!