8 - The Other Prince

"Where's Trevor?" Gran asked when I went home for Christmas.

"He is needed more at school right now," I said carefully. I decided not to say anymore; I wasn't sure how she'd take my toad now being a handsome professor.

I did miss him though - so much. It just wasn't the same opening my presents without his little black beady eyes watching me.

I wondered if I'd ever get used to Trevor no longer being a toad. The thought made me feel inexplicably sad.

Seeing as students had started getting attacked by an unknown monster, I'd normally have begged Gran not to make me return to that hell hole. But I had to go back for Lockhart, and I knew, that as long as he was around, nothing could hurt me.

So I braved the rest of the year out.

However, Salazar's monster turned out to be the least of my worries.

I was at breakfast one morning, feeling a little glum whilst I morosely chewed my bacon.

"Missing your toad, Longbottom?"

I looked up warily towards the Slytherin table to see Draco Malfoy sat amongst a group of sniggering students, his grey eyes glinting directly at me and a wide smirk plastered across his face.

"I haven't seen you taking it for its morning walk in the grounds like you used to." He continued to shout loudly across the Hall to me. "Had a lovers tiff have you?"

"Ignore him." Seamus muttered in my ear as Draco and the rest of the Slytherins fell about in stomach clutching laughter.

My heart gave a little twist of sadness. It just reminded me that it was things like that that I missed. I mean, I really do appreciate Lockhart, but the idea of taking early morning walks with him seemed a little... well - awkward.

I couldn't help but glance up at the staff table just as Lockhart leant in to whisper something in Professor Trelawney's ear, causing her to let out a high pitched squeal of laughter.

My stomach knotted unpleasantly. This had been going on all breakfast.

This had obviously not gone unnoticed by Draco, either, who said loudly enough for me to hear; "Dear God. It's worse than seeing her moon over a slimy toad. Although saying that, isn't it strange how Prince Charming seems to be drawn to that warty old Trelawney?"

Tears pricked behind my eyes as the Slytherins practically fell to the floor in laughter. I suddenly felt utterly depressed, because what Draco said was true. My frog prince was turning out to be nothing but a huge disappointment, and I missed my Trevor.

It seemed that perhaps I wasn't ready for my prince to come, after all.

"Look, Longbottom's crying!" Pansy Parkinson screeched gleefully as I pushed my chair back and ran from the Hall with tears rolling freely down my cheeks.

I didn't stop running until I reached the safety of my dormitory, where I threw myself down on my bed and sobbed into my pillow.

Oh how I missed my Trevor.

*****

The golden trio were acting very mysterious this year.

"We're pretty sure Draco Malfoy is the heir of Slytherin." Ron announced when I enquired about it one evening in the common room.

"But I thought everyone thinks Harry is, because of his Parseltongue thing?" I frowned.

"I'm not being funny," Ron said conspiratorially, "Harry's my mate and all - but... really?!"