xxxiv. Quidditch Queen

Start from the beginning

"And... we need a new Seeker... but, if Cedric's ghost doesn't turn up in his stupid oversized robes, then I'll be disappointed," Kaya's voice softened at the mention of Cedric, and she glanced towards his empty seat across the room for a split second, her face falling slightly.

She shook it off, though, soon enough. She'd been able to joke about Cedric's ghost turning up at tryouts, so she must be in a good mood.

Thankfully, today was a day where Kaya could talk about Cedric without the dreaded feeling of wanting to burst into tears. Grief was strange - there were times where she wanted to cry her eyes out over him for hours, and then others where she could talk about him casually without even feeling the prickle at her eyelids. It was so unpredictable, even she wasn't sure when she'd crack, next.

But, she was happy, right at this moment. So she'd cling onto that feeling for as long as possible.

After her last lesson, Kaya had met up with Maisie, and headed back to the Hufflepuff common room quickly, so that Kaya could change into her Quidditch gear. Tryouts would be practically straight after tea, so she wouldn't have time to change afterwards.

She slipped on her black and yellow striped jumper and the rest of her gear, before tying her curls up into a ponytail to keep them out of the way.

"Whew, hottie!" Maisie teased, when Kaya had finally finished. "I haven't seen that uniform in a while,"

Kaya did a little squeal.

"I'm so excited!" she beamed.

"I'm more excited to see you try and put up with Smith without yelling at him," Maisie said with a teasing smirk.

"Yeah, well, as much as I'd like to, I can't yell at him, can I? He's captain, he'll kick me off,"

"Fair point,"

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

"You look cute," Fred smiled, once he'd caught sight of Kaya dressed in her Hufflepuff kit, walking with Maisie as they appeared on the pitch to join the boys. Fred, George, and Milo were already in their Gryffindor gear, for their tryouts were straight after, so it only made sense.

Kaya smiled. She would've said something, but she was busy focusing on the fact that, oh shit. Fred does have muscles. Fit.

"So do you," she replied with a grin, and he playfully scoffed, everyone sitting down as they waited for the rest of Hufflepuff team to appear.

"You won't think she's cute when she's playing, Fred," said Jaeden. "She's like a fucking falcon - and she gets major Quidditch rage,"

"No!" Kaya defended. "It's not Quidditch rage..."

"Well, there's Quidditch, and there's rage, isn't there?"

"Oh, shut up,"

"That's what everyone thinks when you're yelling at them. I'm serious," Jaeden added, glancing at the twins and Lee, who had yet to experience Kaya's Quidditch alter ego. "She's got no temper, at all. She doesn't even lose it, it's just not there to begin with."

"Jae, I won't hesitate to shove this broom up your arse-!"

"See!"

"Children!" Lee interrupted. "Children, calm yourselves!"

"Who are you waiting for?" Maisie asked Kaya, squinting as she looked across at the huddle of yellow uniforms gathered in the middle of the thick mist across the pitch. Kaya also looked, and began to count the figures in the distance.