xliv. Long Live

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

chapter fifty four | long live

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

KAYA AND JAEDEN LEFT the hospital wing three days before the end of term — before the end of their time at Hogwarts. Of all the things Kaya thought she'd be doing, rotting in a hospital wing was not what she thought she'd spent her last few days at school doing.

But, she had three whole days to make the most of Hogwarts before leaving for good. And her group of four had many things in mind.

The first was using the Prefect's bathroom, one last time — well, that was more on Kaya's checklist than anybody else's. She knew there would be no other bathroom on earth that would live up to this one — so she just had to make the most of it.

The second was the group of four spending one last day by the lake. It had been their favourite place, under one specific tree, and Kaya knew she'd miss it greatly. It was on this day they spent a lot of time with people in their year group they were friends with, knowing fully well they'd never have the luxury of living together again.

Well, Kaya thought she would with her three other friends. Their funding they'd put aside to buy a flat together was still on the go — Kaya knew they'd be all living in the same place one day.

The Hufflepuff Quidditch Team had taken Kaya's Quidditch Uniform and signed all of their names on it with messages of love and good luck — some even called her 'big sis' which she thought was cute. She'll admit, the surprise did bring a few tears to her eyes — but she dared not to cry in front of her teammates and so managed to keep it together, until they'd left and she'd managed to wipe any stray tears away a bit quickly.

Umbridge left Hogwarts the day before the end of term. It had seemed she'd crept out of the hospital wing during dinnertime, evidently hoping to depart undetected, but unfortunately for her, she met Peeves on the way, who seized his last chance to do as Fred had instructed, and chased her gleefully from the premises whacking her alternately with a walking stick and a sock full of chalk. Kaya and her friends, as well as many other students, had rushed out into the Entrance Hall to watch her running away down the path and the Heads of Houses tried only half-heartedly to restrain them.

McGonagall had sank back into her chair at the staff table after a few feeble remonstrances and was clearly heard to express a regret that she could not run cheering after Umbridge herself, because Peeves had borrowed her walking stick.

It hadn't been on their list of things to do before leaving, but it was definitely a worthwhile experience for the group of four.

Now, the third thing Kaya and her friends wanted to do was something they'd sworn to do in third year — and that was to carve their initials somewhere.