chapter 6 - seo hyeon's tree

Geun Seuk

It's been three weeks since we finish the shoot at Mt. Sarang. I open my computer and got an email from our employer saying that my photos were a huge success in the recent Korean summit and the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism is inviting us this coming Saturday as special guests at the 2014 Seoul Tourism Awards. It's an annual event that recognizes the contributions of individuals and companies in the travel industry that helps in developing Asia Pacific tourism.

They said my work has given a high impact in promoting the country's tourist destinations and has brought almost 75% of booking packages from other countries last Korean summit because they were so excited to see the cherry blossom trees of Korea.

The head of the ministry was so amazed by the photos that's why he wanted to meet the artist who captured those breathtaking sceneries. He's been hiking the place ever since he was young and knows the mountain like the back of his hand, but this is the first time he saw this place and that he is very eager to see it in person. Actually, they wanted to know the exact location of the place, but unfortunately, like my previous interview, I told them that I was lost and couldn't find my way but fortunately I was lucky I landed there. Come to think of it, I don't even remember how I got out of it... It's just like my feet dragged me to the crowd and I don't remember any directions afterwards.

Forcing myself to remember what happen, I click the folder where I save my pictures.

Once again, I was hypnotized. There on my screen full blown is her face looking at me. She's real, of course. I'm not imagining it, were just a tree away and I let her slip again.

Who was she? Will we meet again? Probably not... I should forget her... how???? maybe I should just let destiny decide when and where I'll meet her, all I hope is that when that time comes,  my hand should be quick enough to hold her and that my mouth should be relaxed enough to utter a word once in front of her. But then again this is not right .... I should not be obsessing in my dream... With this girl.... for I have already traded my heart and for sure she already gave her to someone else.. As early as possible I have to stop.

I browse again the invitees for the event. Mostly guest where contributors of Koreas tourism and private sector that boost travel and leisure for vacationers. And there goes my name in the individual category, Jang Geun Seuk included in the list of individuals who contributed familiarity and strong bond to other countries through their artistic works and academic studies. My employer told me in advance that there will be a small token of appreciation for my priceless photos so I shouldn't miss this one.