Chapter 34: Eve Eve

Start from the beginning

"Thanks dad, I love you." You spun and stepped onto the little stool so you could reach the top. Your dad was much taller than you, so when you were on the stool he could reach his arms up and hold your shoulders comfortably. But this time you only felt one hand. You glanced down and saw him stretching and struggling even to reach one arm up.

"I love you too honey." His voice sounded strained, but so so happy. You quickly plopped the angel on the top of the tree and climbed back down. Holding onto your dad you both looked up at her. She sat so beautifully. Her hands placed in front of her waist, her white and gold and silver dress dancing in the dim light. Her halo held high above her head.

You both jumped a little when the entirety of the tree lit up. You spun around to see your mum standing by the light switch, holding her video camera. She was crying. So emotional. That's where you got it from. You leaned into your dad, careful not to throw his balance off. He groaned, so you ushered him to sit back down, hoisting his leg up so that it sat comfortably elevated.

You sat on the couch beside your dad, reaching over to hold onto his hand. You exhaled, feeling somewhat relaxed and normal. This was tradition, this was a regular occurrence that you could use to distract your conflicted mind. So much has happened in the last month that you were still trying to process it all.

You left Kylo, broke up with him. If you could even call it that since you weren't actually girlfriend-boyfriend. You had continued your classes as normally as you could. Your grades suffered a little bit, but you were able to bang out your finals. You became distant and alienated yourself from Finn and Pax. Leia and Han too.

You'd told Leia about Reading Week the day before you left Kylo, and you felt mentally exhausted after having to explain to her that you'd left him the day after you told her everything was so amazing. Pax caught on quickly when Kylo stopped coming to the Starbucks, he didn't bother asking you about it because he knew you so well he didn't need to. Plus you were sure that Leia filled him in at some point.

You leaned your head on your arm, your hand still in your fathers. He squeezed it softly and you looked up at him. "You okay honey?" He tilted his head, matching the angle you were looking at him. You shrugged, "Yeah dad I'm fine." You weren't. And you know he knew you weren't. But he still smiled and nodded, letting you resume sulking into your arm.

You felt bad. You felt like an asshole daughter because all you were thinking about were your problems even though your dad was injured. You sighed. Your mum was working tirelessly around the house, doing twice as much work because your dad couldn't get around very well. She had to do everything he used to do, on top of what she already did. You tried to help her out as much as you could, but either she turned you down, or you were too busy wallowing in your own self-pity to help her.

You knew your parents recognized your behaviour was different, but they were too busy trying to run their lives that they didn't ask about it. I'm such an asshole, you thought. If you could only tell them why you're distant, then maybe you could feel less weight on your heart and help around the house some more.

"When is everyone getting here tomorrow Billy?" Your mum called from the dining room, hanging garland and poinsettia's on the mantle of the fireplace that sat in there. She always made the most beautiful bouquet's in her shop, Christmas was her favourite time of the year too.

You were playing chess with your dad. One of the main reasons your mum turned down your help, you thought, is because she didn't want your dad to be by himself. So she'd say she would do the chores and you spend time entertaining your dad. You couldn't argue with that logic, and you liked spending time with your dad. Even if he did ask too many questions about Greek Myth.