Chapter Forty-Eight

Start from the beginning

"Uh oh! Here comes trouble!" called Sam, grinning at the pack of adolescents as we approached.

"I don't know what you're talking about," said Pietro, the look on his face telling a completely different story.

"We've never caused trouble a single day of our lives," agreed Harley, his expression mirroring Pietro's.

"Come on all of you! Let's dance!" yelled Shuri, grinning as she took over the music and started playing some songs I'd never heard before.

"What's this?" I asked, turning to Peter. He was the only one of the group that wouldn't tease me if it was something I should already know.

"It's pop! Haven't you heard this song?"

"No... I guess I haven't really been keeping up with the new music trends since I've been gone..."

"Well that's okay! You can hear all the good stuff now! I'm sure you'll pick it up pretty quick, most of these songs get stuck in your head super easily!"

I smiled. "Sounds like a plan. Thanks Peter."

"Sure thing!"

With that, we joined the rest of our group on the dance floor. We definitely had the most energy out of everyone there, jumping up and down and screaming any lyrics we knew at the top of our lungs. We roped in everyone we could, dragging even the more reserved Avengers and party guests into the middle of things.

"Maria Hill has arrived," muttered Jarvis in my ear after another half hour or so.

I glanced up and saw her enter the room, making her way over to the dance floor and the rest of us. Fortunately for me, Ned, MJ, and Harry came through the door just behind her, giving me a great excuse to leave the dance floor and disappear into the growing crowd.

"Hey, Peter, let's go say hi!" I said, grabbing him and practically dragging him off with me. I shot a glance over my shoulder at the others to make sure they understood, and they did. I was going to do my best to disappear, using Peter and the rest of our friends as a convenient excuse, and the other four were going to cover for us.

The last thing I saw before ducking behind some of my dad's friends that I didn't know was Harley shooting Maria Hill an absolutely gigantic smile. This was either going to go really well, or crash in a burning fireball.

No matter what, this was going to be one interesting New Year's Eve.

"Hey guys!" I said happily, grinning at MJ, Harry, and Ned once Peter and I caught up to them.

"Hey Alexa! Good to finally see you in person again!" said Harry, pulling me in for a hug. I moved to Ned and MJ after him, and the five of us spent some time catching up on everything going on that we hadn't talked about at Friendsgiving.

Throughout the conversation, I caught MJ and Peter looking at each other a couple of times in a way that made me think there might be something there. A few glances to Ned and Harry completely confirmed my suspicion.

I grinned, then turned fully to Ned and Harry at the first available opportunity.

"Hey, I've been trying to avoid someone at this party, and I think I've been standing here a little too long. I think I'm gonna go get something to drink. Do you two want to come and help me blend into the crowd?"

"For sure!" said Ned.

"Happy to help," Harry agreed.

"We can come too!" said Peter. MJ nodded, but I immediately shook my head.

"No, that's okay, I think you two might attract too much attention if you come with us. It's probably better if we split up. We'll catch up with you both later!" I didn't give them time to try arguing, and neither did Harry and Ned. We disappeared into the crowd, leaving Peter and MJ to hang out without us for a little while.