xxx: Stowaway

Ahsoka leaned her shoulder against the wall, observing the Republic Senate session happening in front of her. A few senators had given a few final thoughts about the bill on the floor, and now it was time to vote. She would never understand how Lux could tolerate hours of this. She'd only been present for a short time, and she was already getting antsy.

Once the session concluded, she waited for Lux in front of his office.

He was walking back with a group of Senators, probably discussing their final thoughts on the bill. When he saw her, his face lit up. He excused himself from the conversation and happily jogged over to her.

"Ahsoka!"

He gathered her in his arms and kissed her passionately. It startled her at first, as she was still getting used to being open with their relationship, but he was just too hard to resist.

"You miss me?" she said with a smirk.

"You have no idea." He opened the door and followed her inside. Once the door was closed behind them, he ran a hand through his hair and plopped down in his desk chair. Ahsoka sat down across from him, resting her feet on the desk.

They spent the first few minutes eating in silence. Ahsoka was nervous to tell him about her assignment. They hadn't really talked about how either of them would feel about her going back into the field, and she didn't want him to be upset. She knew deep down that he wouldn't be, but Nyx's manipulative behavior while they were together caused her to second guess everything she thought she knew about the way relationships were supposed to work. It was going to take a while for her to reprogram herself.

She chucked as she took a bite. She was like a droid in that way. A defective droid. Was she even ready for another assignment? Was she ready to go to Oba Diah by herself and potentially face Nyx alone?

Lux put down his sandwich. "Okay, you're uncharacteristically quiet, and I can tell something's up. Spill."

She sighed. "You wouldn't understand, Lux." His hurt expression made her instantly regret saying that. "No, no, I mean that I can't articulate it in a way that would make sense."

His expression immediately changed. "Did something happen? Are you okay?"

She nodded feebly. "I... I got my first assignment today."

"That's good news, isn't it? I thought you wanted to be back out there?"

"I do."

"Then what is it?"

"I've been having dreams. Bad dreams. About him. What if I see him there, Lux?"

"Kill him," he said, like there was no other plausible option.

"Can't if he kills me first. See my issue? It's a textbook mission, but I can't help but worry about what happens if something goes wrong." She could feel the stress building inside her, but she didn't want to explode on Lux. That wasn't fair.

"What's the mission, anyway?"

"Recon. I need to find as much information as I can about the Pykes' involvement in the Shadow Collective before we invade Mandalore. The more we know about how this crime empire is set up, the easier it will be to take it down."

"You'll be fine, Ahsoka. I trust you." He was putting on a brave face, but she could see right through it. He was worried for her. "You could always take Ventress with you."

She shook her head. "Are you crazy?" Since Mustafar, Ventress had taken it upon herself to make sure that the children they rescued were well cared for within the ranks of the Jedi Order. Ventress was very adamant about not becoming a Jedi herself, but she was going to make sure those kids were safe from the judgement and hypocrisy of the Council. Ventress and Ahsoka had a mutual understanding; to say that they were friends would be a huge overstatement. If Ahsoka asked her to come to Oba Diah, though, Ventress would probably do it.