Chapter 4: Capricorn

Start from the beginning

A strange feeling bubbled up in Koumei's stomach. He wasn't sure what he was feeling, but it was unpleasant. He reached for his wine cup, but then thought better of it and pulled his hand away. The alcohol he had already drank churned in his stomach and Koumei knew he was going to be sick later.

A group of female servants came and quickly cleared the plates before everyone. A few moments later they returned with plates of dessert. Koumei stared down at the plate before him, there was some sort of cake with layers of strange fruit and cream. He had no real intention of actually eating it.

"Oh my goodness! I haven't had this in forever!" Sindri exclaimed as she quickly picked up a fork and stabbed at the cake. Her face lit up with delight as she ate the cake from her island home.

"Oh my, this looks so good." Tolui smiled as she took a bite of the cake. She closed her eyes with delight and chewed.

Koumei looked at her then looked back at the cake and picked up the fork laying next to the plate. He took a small piece of cake and ate it. Bright flashes of flavor exploded in his mouth and danced over his tongue. 

"So this is the flavor of the sought after fruits from Sindria. It's no wonder that the merchants spend good coin to get them." Kouen commented as he wiped his mouth with a napkin.

Before anyone could answer the doors to the banquet hall burst open and a black-haired male walked in with a smirk on his face.

"What? You guys are having a party and I wasn't invited? I'm shocked." Judar, the Magi of the Kou Empire, announced with a mocking tone as he strolled in. Sindri's smile vanished as she looked at him with annoyance. 

"As you may not know, this is a family event. So, please excuse me for not inviting you." Sindri clipped out with barely restrained hostility. 

Judar pursed his lips as a shadow fell over his face, but the previous smirk came back as he looked around the room and his eyes fell on Tolui. Koumei couldn't help but grimace as Judar quickly slunk over and sat in between him and Tolui.

"Strange, I didn't know a new family member was added. Why didn't you tell me you got married Koumei?" Judar laughed as he grabbed a piece of Tolui's hair and lightly pulled on it.

"We are not married!" Koumei snarled with annoyance.

"It's not like that!" Tolui exclaimed with slightly red cheeks as she frantically waved her hands. 

A strange glimmer shone in Judar's eyes that made Koumei's temper flare for some reason he didn't understand. The alcohol he had consumed earlier seemed to bubble in his stomach and give him a sense of rashness and courage.

"Let go of her." Koumei snapped, grabbing Judar's wrist forcibly. 

Judar's eyes sparkled wildly as a predatory grin spread over his face. Rather than let go of Tolui, he wrapped his arm around her and pulled her in close. He leered at Koumei, obviously trying to bait him into doing something dumb.

Koumei knew that it was a bad idea, but something in him just urged him to action. With one last chug, he finished the wine that left in his goblet and slammed it down with a loud bang.

However, before he could even do anything Tolui quickly grabbed Judar's arm that was wrapped around her and yanked it backward. With a painful pop, Judar's arm was harshly pushed behind his back as Tolui stood and slammed him down onto the table.

 Plates and cups filled with food and drink went splattering as the entire table shook.

"What the fuck!" Judar shouted as he struggled against the pressure Tolui was placing on him, effectively pinning him to the table.