Chapter Four

"So how did you guys start dating again?" Sam asks, trying to change the subject. They had all finally reached Kurt and Blaine's apartment.

"Well..." Rachel says, sitting on the coach and her friends are gather round to listen to the story, "It was about 8 months ago...

————-*flashback*————-

"Rachel?" Rachel turns to see Jesse St. James standing across from her.

"Oh my god, Jesse! It's been so long!" Rachel runs up to give him a hug. It had been over two years since that day in the auditorium when Rachel turned down Jesse's offer to be in the new broadway show he was staring in so that she could return to NYADA.

Jesse couldn't help but think that Rachel looked so hot, better than he's ever seen her. He's stunned, as he always is, by Rachel's beauty.
"What are you doing here? Are you trying out for a role too?" Rachel asks. They were backstage at the casting for the revival of 'Cats'.

"Ya I'm auditioning for Rum-Tug-Tugger." Jesse says.

"Oh my god that role is prefect for you! I hope you get it." Rachel squeals, excited for him.

"And you?" Jesse looks her dead in the eyes. "You must be going for Grizabella."

"Yes, I am." Rachel says confidently.
"I see you got your fire back. Last time I saw you, you were burning a little low." Jesse says smiling.

"Yes, well, I had fallen, hard, right on my face." They both laugh, "but I got back on my feet. I don't know what would have happened if I had taken the role in that show of yours but I'm really happy I chose to go back to NYADA."

"Well, good for you. I think you made the right choice. The show just went off. It didn't even last 2 full years, but who knows, with you as my opposite we might have lasted a bit longer."

"Oh, I'm so sorry Jesse." Rachel says regretfully.
"Don't be sorry. It was a good enough run. And look at you - you did what was right for you. Don't regret that." Jesse says grabbing onto both of Rachel's shoulders.

"Thanks." Rachel says, unable to look Jesse in the eye. He had that irresistible smile on his face right now.

"Well." Jesse says, "I think they want me."

"Break a leg!" Jesse starts to walk away. "Hey!" Rachel calls out and he turns around, "You want to grab a coffee sometime? Catch up?"

"I'd love that."

——————————-

After Rachel's audition she was walking out the stage door when she hears someone call out, "You did amazingly, you know. You got it for sure." She turns to see Jesse leaning against the wall by the stage door.

"Did you? Wait? For me... this whole time?" It has been over three hours since they spoke backstage.

"Well, it's been so long since I heard you sing. I couldn't help myself." Rachel blushes. "And you were better than you ever were. You got that part in the bag."

"Thanks. A lot of tough competition though. And how did yours go?"
"Pretty good, I think. Hey - you want to get that coffee now?"

"It's past 11 o'clock at night. You think coffee is the best idea?"

"I barley sleep anyway."

"Me neither but I tonight don't have anything to stay up for."

"What about staying up for dinner, with me?"

"I don't know, I really like my sleep." Jesse looks disappointed and then Rachel giggles. "Come on, silly. Where did you have in mind?"

——————————-

The two are sitting at a table in a dark semi-formal restaurant Jesse knows of near by, sharing stories of their lives from the past two years.

Now that Kurt and Blaine were married, they got there own appartment so Rachel had moved into a shoebox in Manhattan with a friend from school. She had been focusing on her studies at NYADA and had just started auditioning for shows trying dip her foot back into broadway.
Jesse has been working on the show Rachel turned down to do with him up until a few months ago. He was now working full-time as a waiter at Ellen's Stardust Diner to pay the bills while auditioning for shows trying to land his next gig.

"Ya, Ellen's staff is all people who are trying to make it on broadway. They collect charity money to pay for the workers acting classes so I've been using the money I get to take some NYADA extension classes. And we sing for the customers - it's fun but I'm hoping to land a show soon." Jesse says to Rachel.

"Ya, well, I'm sure you'll get Rum-Tug-Tugger. You really are perfect for that role."

"We'll see." Jesse says, looking off into the restaurant.

"What? Not so cocky anymore?" Rachel teases.

"I've learned a few lessons from the real world. Don't get me wrong, I'm gonna keep working my ass off and singing my heart out until I drop dead, BUT I've learned that pride doesn't really help you get anywhere."

"Well look at you, Jesse St. James, all grown up." Now Jesse blushes. Rachel is the only one who makes him feel this way, nervous and excited, his heart beating out of his chest.

Jesse calls for the check and pays the bill. Rachel tries to get him to split it, but Jesse insists.

They head out of the restaurant and start walking towards Rachel's apartment.

"It's funny how we were both at that audition today at the same time on the same day. They're running auditions for over a week, what's the chances-"

"It's meant to be." Jesse cuts her off. "I feel like we keep finding each other. That must be for a reason. It's like everything... just keep leading me back to you."

They stop walking and turn to each other. Rachel smilies and Jesse closes his eyes, going in for the kiss, and Rachel's lips meet him halfway.

————-*flashback ends*————-