Chapter One

Warning: This Story covers depression, cutting, and some metal health things in general. If you are uncomfortable with or this triggers you, please do not read this story.

"Alright Keiko, I'll be back to pick you up after school, you'll be a good girl for me, won't you?" My mom asked as she lifted me out of the car, tickling me as she set me down.

I giggled slightly, being extremely ticklish, "Of course mommy, I'll be the best daughter!" I gave her a thumbs-up, grinning wide.

She squatted down and patted my head, "I know you don't like playing with other kids, but will you try to make a friend or two?" She had worry behind her eyes, since I normally sat by myself at the playground reading on the swing, not wanting to play with anyone else. I looked down and pouted a tiny bit. "Ok, you don't have to go searching for friends, but if someone asks for you to play with them, will you say yes for me?" She gently rubbed my shoulder, smiling at me.

I breathed in before grinning and replying, "Okay mommy! I'll try!"

I quickly turned on my heel, hearing my mom say under her breath, "I can't believe she's already four and going to school." I rushed into my classroom and hung my backpack on a hanger that reads "Keiko Todomura". I found a seat and looked around, it seemed like most of the other kids already knew someone in the class, that didn't bother me though, it just meant more of a chance of me being left alone.

Nothing particularly interesting happened, class went by and lunch came, we got to eat in our class, and I got to enjoy my moms cooking in peace. Right after lunch was recess, I grabbed my favorite book, Where the Sidewalk Ends, from my bag, and went to the swing set by the sandbox. I was in the middle of one of the many poems when a boy in my class with green, messy hair came up to me, "Hi! Do you want to play with us?" He gestured over to the sandbox were a few other boys in my class were.

I was about to say no but decided against it because of what my mother asked earlier. "Sure, what are you playing?" I set my book down towards the edge of the sandbox, making sure it was far enough to not get sand on it and close enough so I wouldn't lose it.

"We're playing sword fight with plastic shovels!" The green-haired boy said excitedly, I looked at the group to see they were indeed playing sword fight with plastic shovels.

"Deku! She can't play with us! She's a girl!" A boy with spiky blonde hair said, whining a bit. I looked over at the green-haired boy who's name was Deku, based on what the other kid said.

"That's okay, I can go back to reading, thanks for the invite." I bowed towards Deku, picking up my book, and making my way back to the swing set, despite the fact I did want to play. I was never one for Barbies or make up, sword fights are more my speed.

I could hear them arguing a bit over whether I could play or not, "Kacchan, why can't she play?" So that's what his name was.

"I already told you, because she's a girl, and, from the looks of it, a nerd too!"

"Kacchan, that's mean!"

That made me a little angry, I was okay when my mom or dad called me their "nerdy little girl", but this boy, Kacchan, said it as an insult. Rather than yelling at him, I decided to use my recently manifested quirk, shadow manipulation and travel. I was able to make a shadow untie and retie his shoelaces together, that way he would trip next time he walked.

Surely enough, only a moment later he tried to lunge forward to "attack" one of the other boys during a "sword fight", only to stumble and fall flat on his face. "Hey! Who did that!" Suddenly little sparks came out of his hands while he was fuming.