2 - LA TEMPÊTE PASSERA

La tempête passera; the storm will pass.

It had been two months.

Two long, excruciating months full of therapy sessions, drawn out nights spent in the bar downtown and having to adjust to a different partner. Kamei Shinnosuke, a pale blonde who worked at his own pace. His enthusiasm for work wasn't as high as you'd hoped it would be, but at least he wasn't an asshole about it.

Kamei wasn't a bad guy. He was actually a breath of fresh air compared to the other hard-boiled cops in the station, to be honest. His carefree attitude was helpful at times, giving you a sense of security - somehow. The only evident problem that lied under all of the stress you had was the fact that you couldn't stop thinking about your old partner - your dead partner.

Haru; one of the only good people you had managed to befriend during your time in Tokyo. Your best friend. All of those months developing a friendship you thought was important ended up being meaningless.

Gone in an instant; dead in a second. Forever. Nothing could reverse the way Haru's body went cold when the bullet hit him.

You remembered Nagamine's angry shouts. You remembered the little girl's frantic pleads and screams. You remembered Haru taking charge, pushing you away, and his figure going limp. And you definitely remembered the second shot that hit you, almost making you meet the same fate as your unfortunate partner.

He had always wanted to do something like that. He had always wanted to save someone.

Daisuke was the good ending to the tragic tale, freeing you of the punchline the joke was preparing to launch at any moment. He was the hero in your story, though housing the demeanour of someone who'd probably forget you in a second. He saved the little girl - the hostage - despite using a terrible method. Using bribery as a means to get through a hostage situation was not a way you ever thought you'd end up seeing someone use effectively, but in the end you were thankful that the rich man had decided to step out on the terrace that night - otherwise, you weren't sure you'd be sitting where you were right now.

"Oi, you good?"

Your chin turned towards Kamei, who sat in the drivers' seat with ease.

"Yeah, just thinking."

"About?"

"You being quiet for once."

He snickered.

You sighed, your gaze wandering to Kamei's features, "You haven't seen Kambe around the station lately, have you?" You wanted to sound as if you couldn't give a damn if he had shown up lately or not - but really, you did, and you wanted to see him. Working near someone who had saved your life and not thanking them made the hairs on your neck stand up. You wanted to thank him - to find solace in an interaction; to feel like it would get rid of your bad feelings. You wanted to forget about your grief, your sorrow - but somehow you convinced yourself that the only way for that to happen was to thank Kambe.

Kamei hummed, flicking the windshield wipers to the highest setting. You looked over at the window, heavy rain pelting down on the glass. Bright lights of blue and red blinked just above the car's roof, reminding you of the shades that had covered the terrace that faithful night. The red was the pool of blood you had found yourself in, and the blue was the crisp sheen of the water - the water that your dead partner had died in - casting a glow over the massacre. Daisuke had saved you and the little girl that night - but others had died. You definitely hadn't forgotten about that part.

"Mr. Trust fund? Not at all. He basically disappeared after.." Kamei stopped himself before he could mention the night where Kato had been murdered. He himself had been affected by it pretty badly, but he knew that in order to keep up with the station he needed to move on. His gaze became slightly remorseful as you turned back to him, realising why he had stopped speaking.