Four

chapter four.
secrets safe with me

Sarah Cameron, in all her glory, was the victim of horrible high school rumors and divorced parents.

June Evans knew this because she was the one who started most of the rumors. In reality, Sarah and she are best friends who mainly express their emotions by pushing people away and hiding behind rumors. It's easier that way, to let everyone believe something about you and go along with it.

It gave both girls a leg up in the game of high school.

Both girls are polar opposites in the way that made it impossible to stay away from each other. They found out, after being put in the principal's office together, that there could be common ground.

The fact is, neither of them gave a fuck about what people thought.

So when Topper couldn't find June at either of her parent's houses, he knew immediately that she was either with the blonde girl or with the Pogues. Since he hadn't gotten an urgent text about joining the Goonies dang to find out more about the compass, his best guess is her being at the Cameron's.

It should have been the first place he looked because upon pulling up, the sheriff's daughter is passed out in the boat that is stranded in the large lot. By the looks of it, she had wandered here after Topper dropped her off at her mom's house.

"You won't be waking her up any time soon," Sarah informs him, appearing from where she jumps down from the other side of the boat.

"You didn't poison her, did you?" The Thornton boy jokes, seeing the bottles in the bag Sarah is discretely trying to keep from her dad.

Sarah scoffs and bumped her shoulder with his in passing. "The last person on this island I would kill would be the sheriff's daughter."

"No," Topper's eyes wander over the sleeping beauty, noticing the greasiness of her hair and the clothes she has been wearing for a couple of days. "But you don't stop her from drinking herself to sleep or not going home,"

"You're not her keeper, Topper. Neither are you her boyfriend or friend," Sarah reminds the teenager that has spent too many years pinning after her best friend.

"Doesn't mean I don't care for her,"

"There's a line between caring and controlling," The blonde girl knows all about Topper's weird obsession with the bronze skin girl.

Sarah grew up in the same atmosphere that Topper did. Their parents have divorced and remarried to people who would either give them more money or were feeding off the money. Neither of them had ever really experienced what real love looked like. Nor have they been shown it by their parents. They had to figure it out themselves and since both of them were teenagers, there is still room for improvement.