One

chapter one.
a Kook gets what he wants,
sort of.

〄

A WEEK BEFORE HURRICANE AGATHA IS FORECASTED TO MAKE  LANDFALL, JUNE EVANS GOT A WHIFF OF JUST HOW TERRIBLE SUMMER WAS GOING TO TURN OUT. John Booker Rutledge, a lifetime friend of the family, decides to throw the first party of the summer at the chateau.

When the Pogues threw a party, they threw it hard. Kooks, Tour-ons, and Pogues alike drunkenly stumble around the cluttered Rutledge land. All of them either holding one of the three items in their hands; a cup of beer, a joint, or both.

June Evans makes her rounds with a beer in hand and a blunt dangling from her lips. She isn't looking for anyone specific and knows, almost, everyone that is stumbling around the party. The sheriff's daughter passes Pope during his failing attempt to flirt with the poor Touron that looks like she would rather be anywhere else. She steals JJ's glasses after he falls off the surfboard and pats Kiara's shoulder in greeting.

With so many bodies crowding the small yard, she fails to see John B heading in her direction. This results in her falling into John B, who in turn, spins her around like a princess. June giggles at his friendly flirtatious gesture and lets him pull her closer, whispering in her ear.

"Topper is sitting by the fire, starring flames into us," John B's lips brush the shell of June's ear as she turns to look in the direction, not afraid to lock eyes with Topper. "He's been watching you all night, almost getting up a few times."

The buzzed teen hums in disarray. "He's got no reason,"

"Have you told him that?" John B joins in staring at the Kook, who is trying to look anywhere else than at the couple that is staring at him.

"Too many times," June murmurs, breaking out of John B's hold and walking in the direction. "This Kook is about to learn that he's not going to be able to get everything he wants,"

John B shakes his head, watching her struggle to walk in a straight line. He hopes that Topper has the decency to catch her in case she gets too close to the fire.

Topper Thornton has always been infatuated by the thought of June Evans.

How could he not?

The girl is perfect, so to speak. She is visually appealing, with her tawny-beige skin that absorbs all light the sun shines on it. Her hair falls in waves down to her shoulders and the smile that she casts lights up rooms more than the sun could ever think of doing. The body she possesses and works hard to keep is impressive for a teen her age. She also is not afraid to hide it.

That shows tonight as she struts, or what she thought is strutting. But did, in fact, look like a baby deer's first time walking, over to where Topper was seated. She was thrown into the water by Kiara earlier and the white crop top that is covering her bathing suit now showed the nude-colored material that was underneath.

"Topper Thornton," June smiles, running herself into Topper's arms. No one would have known she was crossed. "You need to keep your eyes to yourself,"

"Oh, yeah?" Topper thickly swallows, amused by the antics of the girl in his arms. "If you go on a date with me, I'll keep my eyes just on you,"

"Never in your wildest dreams," June scrunches her nose, head tilting to look Topper in the eyes. "I am one woman you are never going to have, Thornton,"

"You act like I've slept with every available girl on The Banks!" Topper throws one hand out in exaggeration, disguising the hurt.

"You haven't," June meant that as an actual question and her voice betrays her, making it sound like sarcasm. She leaned back to laugh in his face.

"I'm all yours, June Evans," Topper states. "And when you'll have me, I'll prove myself to you. Let me prove it to you,"

"That's the problem." June is in shock at the turn in the conversation.

Did Topper really think she thought he was an awful person? That he had to change himself for her to actually give him a chance?

God the girl thought, our society is fucked.

"You shouldn't have to," June is fucked, seriously, watching Topper's eyes soften. A reflection of the serene ocean water makes her want to jump right in. She has to remind herself that the water was just a front because deep underneath that is a monstrous rip tide that could flare at any time.

The waters of Topper Thornton are easily manipulated and that just wasn't a chance the Evans girl could afford to make at this time.

"Just give me a chance," He practically begs. "One date."

"Don't try and take advantage of me in my state of drunkenness," June needs to get away before she is swept deeper.

"Then let me take you home," The teen jumps to a different offer, seeing everyone beginning to leave. "Your house is on the way to mine,"

"My moms," June states, shaking her head. "No. No. You can't take me there."

"Okay. Okay." Topper quickly averts to another. "Your dads then, I don't mind. It's no trouble."

"Callahan will be there to help me," The teen whispers with a nod, knowing her stepbrother is able to sneak her in. "Let's go, Thornton. Still got that ugly ass jeep?"

"Just go," Topper is too far over the moon to feel embarrassed by her statement.

Little out of ordinary but I really didn't want to write the beginning scene again.

so i am aiming for Lailani and Topper's romance to almost progress like Lily and James (it y'all get that)
so that's what y'all cast base this upon.

i would luv some feed back bc Topper is going to be a really interesting character to write. there wasn't much character on scene so I'm going out on a limb here to how I think he would be in given more time.

I hope you enjoy it!!