Chapter 2

Toni's P.O.V.

Forks high school had an awesome total of three hundred and fifty-seven, now fifty-nine, students. There were more than seven hundred students in Bella's and my junior class alone back in Phoenix. I loved small schools. It was more comfortable and I felt like it would be easier to make friends. It was easier to match names to faces, as well, as you would see the same people in the hallways every day. The school Bella and I went to in Arizona was terrible. Don't get me wrong, the academics were amazing, especially their math department, but the kids were very pushy and unwelcoming. It was hard to remember everyone who went there, and it wasn't unheard of to see a new face every week. Because of this, I hadn't made many friends. Bella had a couple of friends, though, none of them close.

Finding the school wasn't difficult even though we had never been there before. It was just off the highway and had an obvious sign stating what it was. The school had a series of brick buildings, all matching and red. At first glance, it didn't look like a school. We parked in front of the first building, which had a small sign above it saying 'office'. We stepped out of the cab and headed towards the door. I noticed that no one else was parked there and made a mental note to tell Bella. I opened the door of the building, and, after seeing my sister hesitate, walked up to a desk with a lady sitting behind it. The woman was large, red-headed, and wore glasses. She was wearing a purple T-shirt, which made me feel just a little overdressed in my blouse. She looked up as she heard us approach her desk and asked, "Can I help you?"

"I'm Isabella Swan, and this is my sister Toni Swan," Bella answered. The woman's eyes lit up with awareness, alerting me that we were the topic of gossip for the past few weeks.

"Of course," she said joyfully. She rummaged through a pile of papers on her desk and brought out our schedules and maps of the school. She helped us find the best routes around the school by highlighting places on the map and gave us a slip of paper each. She explained what the paper was for, then let us go.

When we went back outside, other students were arriving, creating a long trail of cars. We hopped into the cab and started following the flow of traffic. As we drove, I noticed that many of the cars were older like the Chevy. The only car that stood out was a shiny, silver Volvo. I wondered whose it could be.

Bella parked the car as I jumped out of the cab and looked at my surroundings. Many of the kids were hanging around their cars in groups and were openly staring at me and the truck. I groaned, praying Bella would hurry up. I was going to wait for her, but it looked like she was trying to memorize the map. With a roll of my eyes and a huff of breath, I left her to go to my first class in building 3.

--------------------

I left my trigonometry class to head towards the cafeteria. It wasn't hard to get caught up in my classes so far because I had done most of the material at my old school. I figured it would only take a week to fully catch up and started to plan when I would do each assignment. When I entered the cafeteria, I spotted my new friend, Angela. Angela was a short girl, shorter than Bella I presume, with wild, dark hair and glasses. We instantly clicked because of our love of books and spent time talking in the halls between classes. She was sitting at a table with a group of teens that included Bella.

I was introduced to Mike, who had blonde hair and blue eyes with a babyish face; Eric, an Asian guy with greasy, black hair and an over-friendly expression; Lauren; Tyler; Ben; and lastly, Jessica, the girl who loved to gossip.

"So, did you, like, never go outside?" Jessica asked Bella. Bella grimaced and shrugged.

"I'm not trying to be rude, it's just that I heard that people from Arizona were supposed to be, like, really tan."

"My mom's part albino," Bella replied monotonously.

"But your sister is tan," Jessica said confused.

"It was a joke, Jess," Mike said with a hint of laughter in his voice.

"Oh."

"So, how are you liking Forks, Arizona?" Mike asked me.

"I've been here hundreds of times before," I replied.

"Really," Mike said with surprise coloring his voice. "Then, why have we never met before?"

"I spent most of my time on the reservation," I said with a shrug. It was true. I was really shy as a kid, so instead of making new friends in Forks, I opted for hanging out with people I had known my whole life.

"Why?" Jessica asked.

"Because I know people who live there," I said frustrated. She was fishing for juicy information and I wasn't going to entertain her.

"Oh. Lucky."

I looked at Jessica and furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

"I've seen some of the boys who live there and they are super cute."

I rolled my eyes and wondered why I was sitting with them. I had only been listening to Jessica for five minutes when I got fed up with her chatter and went to get lunch.

"Where are you going?" Bella asked me after I stood up. Even though Bella was confident and independent, she had her moments when she was scared of being on her own.

"I'm getting lunch," I said as I started to make my way to the lunch line. As I walked, I wondered if this school year was going to be any better than the last. I knew I wouldn't make the same mistake again; I was smarter than that now, but would I get sucked into new drama? Maybe I should have been paying more attention because as I was about to pass a door on the way up to the line, it suddenly opened and hit me in the face. I fell to the floor and held my face as it throbbed in pain. I wasn't bleeding, but I knew there was a possibility of a red mark.

"Seriously?" I muttered as I looked up to see who had hit me. I looked up and could only gape at the people in front of me. What Jessica failed to mention was that there were good-looking people in Forks, too.