Chapter 3

Reality came quickly when I asked an established author to take a look at my story. A full page critique brought me back down to earth. The bottom line was that the book was not publishable, for all sorts of reasons. I could see the numerous reasons, basic mistakes, like the hero is meant to be a hero, not a creep (who eventually comes good). And the heroine cannot be aged 17 and having sex.  But my inner voice said, why did I get over half a million hits?

I read and participated in lots of wattpad conversation threads about publishing to understand the workings of the book industry. 

The most depressing thing about the critique of my draft story is that I had spent months writing and editing it, while all along, the basic plot was flawed. In fact, while my book was being torn apart by my author 'friend', I was writing another story. I later found out this was also a flawed plot with holes all over it. In other words, I had made the same mistake again . . . spent a huge amount of time in writing a crap plot. With two books on wattpad available to read for free I could have left it there. But no. I had learnt my lesson. I went back to the author who was giving me so much of her time, and I produced a synopsis (detailed plot), which she corrected and two more adjustments later, I had the final plot sorted. Basically, the original story (called The Love Box Experiment) had formed the 'draft' from which the real book would be written. This would involve scene changes, deletions and new scenes added. Plus a revamp of the characters involved.

How to publish? I began to think that going down the traditional route of publishing was not going to be successful. All my research indicated the chances of getting an agent were almost zero, because they receive hundreds of requests each month, thousands each year. If I get an agent, he/she will pitch the story to a handful of publishers (most publishers won't accept manuscripts without an agent). But there's no guarantee the publisher will accept the submission from my agent.

I started to research independent publishers where I would use their resources to publish myself. And I bought two books on self publishing.