02 - "Tiny Little Specks"

"Riley Matthews from Greenwich Village, New York City, the United States of America, the continent of north America, Western Hemisphere, the earth, the solar system, the universe. The mind of God. And in the middle of all of it, is John Quincy Adams middle school. Me and my friend, because we are the center of the universe. At least, that's what I thought,"

——

Elliott ran fast the downstairs before getting back on his skateboard. He was late.

As he opens the door to Mrs. Svorski's, he walks in and sees Mrs. Svorski talking to Auggie, Riley and Maya sitting on the bakery window. He also saw his mom and, but was confused.

"Elliott, come here. I want to talk to you," Maya called.

He turns around and walks over. Skateboard in hand, confusion written on his face.

Elliott spoke, "Maya, if it's about—"

"It's not," She quickly interrupted. "You need to talk to them."

"Oh...uh, Talk to who?" Elliott questioned.

"Our parents!" Riley complained. He can hear the upset and irritation in her voice. "Why?" Elliott asked.

"Because! Your dad's at school. Your mom's at our hangout," Maya explained to Elliott then chuckled. "That's nice."

"If you're upset. Why are you laughing?" Elliott said confused.

He didn't completely understand. "Inside, I'm crying so hard." Maya responded.

"Elliott, you're here," Mrs. Svorski smiles and gestures for him to come over. He stood next to Auggie, as she picked up a flower shaker. "Auggie, this is for you. It's flower shaker from Ukraine. Antique, like me. I want you to have it."

"What should I do with it?" Auggie asked, observing it.

"Keep safe. Very important what in there," Mrs. Svorski informed him. She then grabs a small box and handed it to Elliott, about to open it, but she stopped him. "Not yet. It's early birthday present."

"Thank you, Mrs. Svorski," Elliott and Auggie said simultaneously then Topanga thanked her.

"Oh, thank you, Topanga... Auggie, and Elliott," Mrs. Svorski responded.

——

"Here's what's funny. If you're standing in the moon, you'd think the earth was revolving around you, instead of the other way around. It's really all about perspective. It's hard not to believe that you're the center of everything... until something shows you you're not,"

——

"What? You're joking? Please, tell me you are joking!" Elliott snapped, then saw his parents facial expression.

"I can't believe this..." He sighed, before grabbing his skateboard and storming passed his parents, leaving the apartment.

Elliott got on his skateboard and went wherever it took him, he rode down a couple of streets, until he reached his destination,

He got off the skateboard and knocked on the door. His honorary Aunt, Angela, answered the door, immediately hugging him. Angela heard what happened to Svorski and felt horrible. She knew how close Elliott was to her.

"Thanks, aunt Angela... I really needed that," Elliott sighs, walking into the house, as Angela closed the door behind her.

"You're parents told me what happened," Angela walked over and sat down beside him on the couch. "Will you be okay?"

"Yeah, I'll be okay. Eventually..." Elliott rubber his eyes, trying to force himself not to cry. "Where's Mason?" He asked, leaning against Angela.

"He's in his room. You know where it is," Angela pats his back before getting up.

Mason was sitting in his bed, when he heard knocking on his bedroom door. He got up to open it and Elliott was standing in front of him. They still there their handshake.

——

"The sun doesn't go around the earth. We're the ones moving. We orbit the sun because we need it. We need it's light and it's heat, and if it wasn't there, we'd be dark and alone," Riley continued as the projector turned off.

She slowly walked over to the picture of Svorski, "I wasn't in Mrs. Svorski's orbit for very long, and I missed out on someone wonderful. My brothers new better. They was her very good friend."

Riley took Maya's hand, and she stood up next to Riley, by the projector - that turned back on - before she spoke again.

"We think that we're the center of the universe, but the truth is... we need to circle the ones we love for as long as they're here." Maya hugged her mother, as Riley walked over to her parents and brothers.

"We need to hold them close, because no matter how far we travel, they are the ones who hold us in place. It's gravity, and without it, we would just all float away from each other. We are not kings at all. We are just... tiny little specks." Riley walked by the projector, and stood in front of it.

"My name is Riley Matthews from Greenwich Village, New York City, the United States of America, the continent of north America, the Western Hemisphere, the earth, the solar system, the universe. The mind of God. That's from 'our town', my father's favorite play."

"Just for a moment we're all together, let's really look at one another," Elliott quoted from the play. Everyone glanced at one another.

Elliott walked over to the picture of Mrs. Svorski, he stood next to Riley's side.

He looked down at the dog tag necklace she gave him for his birthday, "Good night, Mrs.Svorski." He smiled.

948 Words

Author's Note
There's chapter two! Let me know you thoughts in the comments... wait, where's Elliott Meets Party? The original chapter two? Sorry, I've decided that it wasn't working for chapter two but it will be posted for a different chapter later in the story, and written slightly different. But anyways, let me know your thoughts for this chapter in the comments!

XD Spidey-Tom