12 || Taking a Detour

Start from the beginning

"We definitely can figure something out if Thomas will let me run some tests with his blood!" Teresa went on, looking at Thomas, pleading with her eyes. "Please, Thomas. Do it for Newt and Gwyneth."

"Don't waste your breath, Teresa." We turned around to find Janson and other soldiers with guns pointed our way. "He made his choice long ago."

"Drop the weapons!" a soldier yelled, with more coming in all directions, surrounding us completely.

Thomas then wrapped one arm around Teresa and had his other hand with a gun against her neck. "Back up! Tell them to back off!"

I put my gun back up, motioning for Aris to get in between me and Maeve. "Janson, we're not telling you again..."

"Hey, come on, everyone. It's me. I've known you all longer than you can remember. Especially you, Thomas, which is why you're not gonna shoot her." He shifted my way for a second. "Look at Piper. She's protecting Aris. She still cares for him, just like you still care for Teresa, isn't that right?"

"I'll do it, Janson," Thomas warned him, the gun pressed harder on Teresa.

Without reacting so suddenly, Janson didn't flinch. "Okay." He slowly put his gun in the air as a sign of surrender, smirking. "Shoot her. Prove me wrong."

We all had our eyes on Thomas as his panting became louder and his grip was tighter. I was nervous, hoping he was just bluffing. Sure, Teresa was on the fence in terms of the good and the bad, but did she deserve this fate? No, and Aris didn't, either.

Janson was right. I still cared for him.

"Go on, Thomas," Janson pressed on. "Shoot her."

I spotted Teresa looking behind me, assuming she was eyeing Aris, then at the wall beside her. Next thing all of us knew, we were being pulled and pushed back beyond the door, where Teresa had them sealed. An alarm going off rang in my ears, along with the banging noise from guns. Once the shooting stopped, we took off our masks, throwing them on the floor, taking deep breaths.

"What the bloody hell did she just do?" Maeve asked in anger.

"She's helping us, that's what," Aris answered. "Follow me. We need to get to the medical wing before Janson."

I grabbed my walkie as we began to run. "Sonya, we're heading your way. Janson is coming as well." When I didn't get a response, I began to worry. "Sonya? Sonya, can you hear me?"

"I'm sure she got it," Maeve assured me. "Let's just keep moving and we'll meet her and the others there."

So we kept going, the alarm still going off, along with the additional sound of soldiers shouting and running all over.

"Quick! Get down!" Thomas hissed as we took cover, waiting for the soldiers to move past us.

"Hey, Piper?" Aris whispered.

I rolled my eyes in annoyance. "Aris, I already told you--"

"No, it's not that. I just wanted to say thank you for not letting Janson or the others shoot me."

My face softened as I nodded my head, looking his way. "Well, like Janson said, I still care for you."

He let out a small smile, as if he already knew. Then he turned to see if we were in the clear. "Okay, let's go."

So we stood up and went on to our destination. With the bustling going around us, we eventually slowed down, keeping a steady pace, trying to not stand out without anything to cover our faces. Nevertheless, everyone knew we were here, regardless if we were disguised or not.

Suddenly, down an empty hallway, there stood Ava Paige.

We all froze as her face was in shock as she laid eyes on us. While none of us reacted, Thomas took out his gun and pointed at her with a shaky hand.

"Thomas..." I mumbled. "We're here for Minho and Lillie. We know you want her dead, but--"

"No!" Newt yelled, pulling Thomas out of the way as shots began to fire at us.

"Run!" The voice of Sonya rang into my ears as she hurled our way, along with Beth and Gwyneth. "Took you guys long enough!"

We all went with her and headed down the hallway. Soldiers came piling in, but we realiated. Among the shooting going on, my eyes slid over to Aris, who was dodging the bullets. I covered him, making sure he wasn't harmed.

"I need to go find Teresa!" Aris shouted, rushing away from my side.

"Aris!" I called out, running back to him, getting away from the chaos. I wanted to be angry at him for wanting to find Teresa, but something else came over me, and my thoughts of frustration and bitterness went away. "Be careful, okay?"

Aris gave me a long stare before crashing his lips onto mine like he did six months ago. For a short amount of time, I was not fighting WICKED, I wasn't here trying to save anyone. I was somewhere else with Aris, in another world. Time stood still in that moment, and it was then I had the realization that maybe what I was feeling towards him was stronger than I thought. Maybe I did love Aris. Maybe he was right all along about me loving the version of him that I knew right here and right now, and it was something that could have been inside of me for a while now, something I learned to feel over time.

I pulled away and gazed at him. "Aris..."

"I'll be careful. I promise. Just do the same for me. I can't lose you again."

I nodded and headed back in the warzone. The commotion was worse than ever before. Thomas and Newt were no longer there, leaving us girls on our own. Still, we carried on with the battle. After all, we were able to handle ourselves.

"Freeze!" a soldier shouted at me, my heart about to pound out of my chest.

I spun around, my eyes wide, panicking. Then, out of nowhere, a familiar figure jumped out, grabbing the soldier by the neck and pulling him down. The figure snatched his gun and used it to knock him out. When the person looked up, I felt relieved and happy all at once.

"Lillie," I breathed out.

"Keep fighting, you crackface!" she yelled, taking her gun and

She panted, but still smiling a little through the exhaustion that remained on her face. "Hey there, stranger."

I ran over to her and threw myself for a hug. "You're okay."

"Of course I'm okay," she replied, hugging me back.

Once the fighting died down, the others, minus Beth, took turns with their reunions.

"Hey, stick," Beth commented.

Lillie looked at us in surprise. "She's alive?"

"Long story," Sonya told her. "We've gotta get out of here. I'm sure Thomas, Newt, and Minho are out by now."

Then, Gwyneth began to cough uncontrollably, along with blood drooling down from her mouth. "We...need...to...go..."

"Gwyn?" Lillie asked with concern. "She's infected, isn't she?"

"Yes, and she's getting worse. Gally's got the serum, so we need to get to him now." Beth grabbed Gwyneth and led the way. "Let's go."

As we were hurrying out, Lillie turned my way. "So, what have I missed?"

I scoffed. "A lot, Lillie. You've missed a lot."

A/N: Lillie's back! Yay! I know she hasn't been in the story a lot, but she's here to stay!

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this chapter. It's definitely longer than the last few have been, I think, but I didn't really plan for that to happen, lol.

Sooo Aris and Piper...told ya I had more moments planned for them (well, the one in this chapter wasn't really PLANNED, but ya know, it's all good).

Song above is Heroes by Zayde Wolf.

Comment, vote, more to come!

-A