7 || Into the Jungle

"After the Maze, I got picked up by a group headed to the city. They realized I was immune, patched me up, and they brought me here to Lawrence. Beth got here before I did, so she showed me around, told me what this place was all about." Gally led us down farther inside the building, passing guards with weapons piled up in boxes. "This group's been at war with WICKED ever since they took control of the city. But WICKED can't hide behind those walls forever. Day's gonna come and they're gonna pay for what they've done."

I wanted to believe Gally's word, but I hardly knew him. Beth was on his side as well, and by how Thomas reacted to seeing him again, I had a feeling he was like Beth back in their Maze.

"Do you guys think Gwyn is okay?" I asked the girls as we kept walking.

"Beth wouldn't hurt her," Harriet assured me. "They were friends at one point."

"Yeah, but things happened, remember?" I pointed out.

"Wait, did she...?" Aurora began to say, asking in a state of shock.

"Kill Rachel? Yeah, she did," Maeve blurted out.

Aurora's face fell, blinking fast. "Shit. I didn't realize she was killed by one of your own."

I swallowed hard, feeling a lump already in my throat. "Beth was out of it," I said. "Really out of her sticking mind."

Aurora remained silent after that, but I could feel her staring me down as we continued to follow Gally.

Finally, he stopped and turned around. "Listen, uh...he doesn't get a lot of visitors. So, let me do the talking, okay? Also, try not to stare." With that, Gally kept on going, though we were all reluctant to follow him.

The sound of classical music filled all around us, the mess of knick knacks and plants catching our eyes. The sun was shining through the windows, the place bathing with sunlight. There was a man standing by one of them, muttering to himself so quietly that I couldn't understand what he was saying. But as soon as he heard us coming down the stairs, he stopped.

"Gally. Glad to see you made it back," Lawrence said. "Jasper told me what happened."

"It was a slaughter," Gally replied. "There's nothing we could do against those guns."

"No, but they can only poke the hornet's nest so long before they get stung." He turned his face so we were able to see a side profile. He picked up a red rose and inhaled, taking in the smell from what was left of his nose. "Now, who are these people? Why are they here?"

"We need to get into WICKED," Thomas spoke up, standing beside his old foe. "Gally said you can get us through the walls."

Lawrence looked at us, the glare blocking our view of his face. "Gally should know better than to make promises that he can't keep." He tapped his fingers on the table, then sighed. "Besides, that wall is only half your problem. Getting inside WICKED is impossible." Grabbing his IV pole, the blue liquid dripping slowly, he strolled towards the two boys.

"There might be a way now. But it doesn't work without Thomas." Gally motioned his head towards Thomas, who looked confused at the mention of his name.

"Is that so?" Lawrence questioned. "Do you know what I am, Thomas?" Lawrence came into the light, revealing part of his face to be not so human. His veins stuck out along his face, which made it hard to look away, and one eye seemed to be working. "I am a businessman. Which means I don't take unnecessary risks. Why should I trust you?"

"Because I can help you." Thomas stood his ground, not wincing at his appearance. "You see, if you can get me through those walls, I can get you what you need."