xxi | epilogue

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

"All cats old enough to run on the moores, gather beneath the Tall Rock for a Clan meeting!" A mighty cry echoed over the fields. With it, his call brought a familiar memory, yet it was so vague no one could remember. The cats scattered throughout the fields lifted their heads, quite aware of the beckoning. They then gradually began to near their home, everyone in different directions appeared below the elevated rock and gathered into a crowd.

The leader looked breathlessly bold standing upon the stone. His pale-colored eyes gazed outwards, soaking in the vivid images of the expanse. Where he was standing, the cold stone beneath his pads, it felt right. It felt like he truly belonged in the moores; generations and generations of his kin had passed down the noble ranking. And now, finally, it was his turn.

Molesnake, who was now identified as Molestar, no longer had the desire to slither around in treacherous evil. He was no longer poisonous with monstrous ways and like the suffix of his name, he had dropped his sin. Molesnake was now a star. He was now the cat others looked up to.

Once all of the WindClan rebels had gathered beneath the Tall Rock, he began. "WindClan, it feels so good to be united." The mumbling cats hushed at the sound of his voice. Many colorful, forward perking ears spun to focus on their leader. Molestar proceeded, "As my first act of leader, I feel it is my duty to elect a new deputy."

Reactions to his announcement consisted of vicious buzzing. The Clan cats frantically whispered with excitement, conjecturing ideas to who the deputy would be. But deep down, they were all hoping the next the deputy would themselves.

"I say these words before StarClan," The dauntless tom regained his cat's attention. "So that the spirits of our ancestors may hear and approve of my choice." A vision of his mother suddenly entered his head. He could feel her soft presence, mellowing amongst the untouched heather fields. Molestar hoped that she was proud of him. "The new deputy of WindClan is Falconrain."

The apprehensive seething ended once the warrior's name fell to the air. The calico tom, perching near the back of the gathering, lifted his head. His glossy eyes were wide with shock, almost as if he was hearing the name wrong. But Falconrain's mood shifted once he saw his brother's reassuring expression. Molestar did want him as deputy. A thrill of adrenaline coursed down his spine. Falconrain cleared his throat, "Thank you. I promise to serve and protect my Clan."

And with that, the Clan erupted into cheering for their new deputy. They clearly approved of the choice as many tom's and she-cat's raced to congratulate the tortoiseshell. Falconrain had never been seen smiling so much. His electric eyes then drifted across the clearing to a particular she-cat. His Clanmates frenzy meant nothing if she didn't approve.

The moon-colored feline smiled dazzlingly once her lavender eyes came into contact with his. She solemnly dipped her head, welcoming the novel deputy. Secretly, Violetsky was so very proud of the ex-soldier. In this moment, he seemed to be a different tom compared to the time she first met him. He looked to be no longer suffering. Falconrain was finally at good terms with the world.

"Settle down," Molestar's courteous coaxing silenced the gathering. "I have one last thing I must do before we part ways," He seemed to hesitate with serious sadness. His head dropped to the side as he was lost in a mosaic of memory. "My mother should've done this a long time ago. I apologize on her behalf." Realizing he was still in his Clan's eye, Molestar straightened himself. "My apprentices, Bramblepaw and Rowanpaw, please come forward."

Both of the young warriors were sitting beside Violetsky, one on each side. At Molestar's command, they both synchronized and worriedly gaped up at the silver she-cat. She nudged them both forward, amused by their innocent reluctance. As the apprentices stepped before their leader, the crowd of cats shrunk into a semi-circle.