Chapter 1: 'The Inner Burg' Pt 1

The Inner Burg is basically Central Burgenson, but it sounds more 'ghetto' as the Norths say. It's a lively place, maybe too lively. Some have got money, meaning and murder on their minds; a not-so perfect mix of people. But it'll have to do. Surviving a week in The Inner Burg is like surviving a lifetime. On the streets are the cars, and on the roads are the people. Life here is never a breeze, nothing ever comes with ease.

In the smallest town, in the smallest neighbourhood, in the smallest building and in the smallest apartment lives Nathaniel Rushmore- and his father and sister.

-this is how I would imagine him.

Nathaniel was brought up in a house with slightly good morals, down in the darkest alleys of central Burgenson where he had lived in his whole life. The people here were like family to him, The Robinsons- a family of 3, living their best life, because honestly, things could be much worse. Then there's Imogen, a lady who has just about made it. She couldn't afford to look after her children in this harsh place so they had to live with their father in the West Burgenson. And finally Dan and Dannielle, with their 3 children Danny, Daniella and Daniel. Better known as the 3Ds.

Here everyone's coming and going, to keep the perfect balance. But of course, not everything is perfect.

There are the rival gangs, the ones that shoot and kill for territory, respect, and fun. The war will never stop, and it still wages on, and even found its way into Nathaniel's family; killing his older sister. Cameron was a part of the puzzle that could never be found, and once it was it would always go missing again. Dropping in and out of contact, everytime she would return she would say 'I was out'. One day she never returned.

It was ruled a murder, a random Gamma shot Cameron and her boyfriend, and ran. Nobody cared enough to actually try and find her killer; no news coverage, no search, no care. Something changed in Nathaniel's heart that day.

"Nat, grab the coconut milk for me, Destiny could you pass the salt?"
"Or, you could coconut milk, as I'm the one at the stove?" Nathaniel said rolling his eyes.

"Yeah, yeah... Uh Destiny pass Nat the salt, I'll get the uh..."
"The nothing Dad, sit down will ya?" Destiny groaned, her father was tiring her more than he was tiring himself.

"That I can do". He said, watching Destiny get coconut milk and the salt at the same time- clearly in shock.

"Yeah, yeah I'm just gonna get some sleep, call me when you need some help" he stuttered whilst walking away, not forgetting to give Nathaniel and Destiny a kiss on the head.

"Oh my fucking god" Destiny chuckled, laughing at her father.

"You've already started swearing, Jesus Destiny! But it was funny though" Nathaniel said with a smile, laughing along with his sister.

"If you go on like this the Gammas might accept you into their gang!" Nathaniel joked, expecting a returned laugh, instead, all he saw was Destiny looking at him as if he had five heads.

"I would never join the Gammas, they killed Cam!" Destiny snarled at Nathaniel, clearly fuming.
"They're the ones that killed her, and Karim! It's because of them this house isnt the same anymore and you're joking about it?" Destiny was now practically screaming at Nathaniel.

"Destiny I'm sorry, I didn't realise what I said, I didn't mean to say Gamma, it was a mistake!" Nathaniel pleased with her but to no avail, she was already walking to her room.

"Why, what happened? I was gone for five minutes and- Oh my god the curry!" Nathaniel's dad rushed over to the stove to turn of the flame.

See how such a sweet moment can turn so bitter, what a shame.

Nathaniel had to go out for a while to escape the awkward and tense aura that was emitting around his house. It was 5:00 and already dark out because it was December, so Nathaniel had to be vigilant or else things could go very wrong. Living in a dangerous area is never easy, you have to look left, right up down and definitely behind so you don't get robbed, knifed, or even worse: killed.

Each day you'll see on the news (if you're lucky enough to even own a radio) something like 'Gang Violence Results in Violent Death', or, 'African Burgenesse Put Down for Displaying Dangerous Behaviour'.
Nathaniel just wishes his name will never be there, if people actually cared enough to put it there.

Lights were on but minds were off; people were in but the monsters were out, Nathaniel just didn't know that yet.

"Hey Nat, how's it going?" A muscular arm was wrapped around the back of Nathaniel's neck, he could be easily choked.

"Ron... hey, how have you been" Nathaniel murmured, gently pushing the boys hand off his neck.

"Listen I'm sorry about your sister Kieren-"
"Cameron, you shit".
"Yeah, Cameron, the guy who killed her was out of the gang as soon as we heard the news, Gammas don't go for the innocent; and I told them I knew you and Cam so it's all good-"

"It's all good?" Cameron stopped and turned around, "You Gammas have no fucking morals, you kill my sister and say it's good because you what? Kicked out the guy from your little club?" Nathaniel screamed, pushing Ronaldo away from him.

"No, Nat come on that's not what I meant, they were on our territory and he-"

"Territory? They were sitting behind a fucking tree, a tree Ronaldo! Instead of owning land you don't fucking pay for, get a house and a job, stop ruining other people's lives!" Nathaniel ranted, loud enough for the whole neighbourhood to hear.

"It's not as easy as you think and you should now that!"

"But it was easy to kill Cameron wasn't it?"

"No, Nathaniel come back!" Ronaldo called out to Nathaniel but he was already running back home.