°CHAPTER NINETEEN

Januya was about to die

Her very unsuccessful life flashed before her very eyes as she saw the tip of the dagger plunging towards her.

She jerked her both hands, but they wouldn’t budge. It was as if two invisible metal handcuffs pinned them to the bed. The same also for her feet.

She closed her eyes in anticipation of death, but it never came. Instead, she heard a thud sound. Her arms and feet snapped free and Januya rolled off the bed to the floor.

She couldn’t see the nuliian because whoever it was blended perfectly with the darkness, but from its figure, she could tell it was a male. He was against the wall or more precisely, the glass slits, his legs sprawled on the floor as if something had slammed him there.

Januya heart was pounding. She had a killer in her room and had nothing to defend herself with. She looked towards the door, calculating how far it would take her, but the room was huge and she was sure he would catch up with her. The dagger was also far in a drawer. So basically, the only thing she had was pillows and flip flops.

The man stirred on the floor and Januya took a step back, already deciding that she would try and run away at least. A cowardly move, but she didn’t mind. Her eyes widened when she saw a black mist, engulf the man, and then poof! He was gone.

Januya’s face paled as she sprinted to shut the windows and with shaky hands, she pulled the drawer and took the dagger. At first, she thought Synis was delusional for giving her a dagger, but now she wholeheartedly appreciated it.

She sat at the edge of her bed, clutching the dagger closely as her eyes constantly were on a lookout, in case he would return to finish his mission.

While everything was unfolding, Januya fear had taken over her other senses, but now as it lessened, her anklet felt warm, or rather, one particular spot felt warm. Januya looked down the obsidian gemstone humming gently against her skin. The stone had saved her life. She should’ve been happy, but she sobbed quietly, the dagger dropped from her shaky hands. Who would want her dead?

Dove. She dreamt about her and she had warned her about danger. Januya hugged her knees. It didn’t make sense. She was home, this was supposed to be her safe haven. You got to leave. Dove's words rang in her head.

A tapping sound made Januya snatch the dagger, pointing it's tip forward. But when she saw it was just a night bird on her window, she relieved tension. The bird reminded her of Twix, which she was glad wasn’t there tonight. What if he stabbed Twix before her? Januya shuddered at the thought alone.

Her eyes threatened to close, her brain was shutting down but she didn’t allow it. Even if the obsidian gemstone protected her the first time, there was no complete guarantee it would protect her a second time.

The truth scared her, but she had to admit it. She wasn’t safe here and she had to leave as soon as possible.

“After breakfast would you like me to tutor you on Nulii geography?” Damie asked.