Chapter 2

2

The day came to where we had to bind the boggart. I tagged along just to see how it's done. If I'm going to be a Spook, I have to know how to do it, and when I should help the others. Mr. William came a few minutes after me. At the gate, he stopped and glared. "Girl! If you don't want to be hurt by the boggrat, I suggest you leave right now!"

I glared back. "No. I am going to be a Spook. I need to know how to do this for when I become a Spook, just like my ancestors before me."

He just shook his head. "Fine. But don't get in the way!" He strode through the gate to the house. A blood curling shriek came from inside and we rushed to the noise. Mr. William burst in and suddenly stopped. I ran into him. He barely spared me a glance. I peeked around his frame and gasped.

A child, no more than two, had its hand stuck in a gap in the floor boards. Greedy slurps and snuffs sounded from the crack. The child had grown silent. I knew boggarts slowly drained their victims, and the child, from what it looks like, was almost dead.

The Spook, acting fast, produced a bone saw and asked if it was alright to cut off the child's hand. Justin was holding his fainted wife. "Please! Anything to save him!"

Before he cut, he took out a metal dish to catch the blood. Then he cut. A steady stream of blood flowed into the dish. After all that was done, he picked up the child and gave it to Justin. "Take him to the doctor as quick as you can."

As quick as ever, Justin ran out of the house, clutching his child. I moved his wife to the bed upstairs. Once she was tucked in, i snuck out the back door and jogged around to the front of the house. They work fast! The stone was already in place above the pit. The Spook stood up, holding a chain.

I ran up to them. "Is it ready?" I asked. One of the workers nodded. "Yep. Now to just for the lil' varmin." They backed away from the pit to a safe distance. The Mason went behind the tree where the pit was dug in front of. I went with the spook.

"What is a varmin?" I questioned. I was shushed just as the area grew cold. The boggart was coming.

"Get ready." Warned the spook. Everyone tensed. Then I saw it. A huge, black shadow that was barely visible came chargingacross the field. It stopped, sniffed at the pit, then jumped in. All you could hear afterward was obnoxious slurping and greedy animal noises. 

The Spook signaled for the stone to be lowered. Carefully, it was brought to the ground to the opening. A howl of defiance souned as the stone covered the mouth of the pit. I shot up to help bring it down the last few centimeters. At last, the boggart was sealed inside.

Mr. William came out and tapped it with his staff. "Nice and tight. Good work, men." Of course, he doesn't acknowledge me. I peered down at the stone. It had the greek letter B with a '/' to show that a boggart was artificially bound here. The Roman numeral one was next to it to represent the strongest kind of boggarts was here. Under the number was "Derekson", letting everyone who saw it know that William Derekson bound the boggart. Lie. I did it this time.

"You best be off, girl. My work here is done and you have no buisness here." With that, the spook turned on his heel and headed for the open gate. I ran and stopped in front of him, making him stop.

"Let me get one thing straight. My name is Elizabeth, not girl. If you don't want to get on my bad side, I suggest you start calling me my name." My eyes were narrowed at him He seemed un affected. "Whatever. Now, out of my way, girl. I've no time for your childish games.

I bared my teeth. "It is Elizabeth!" I shouted in his face. He took a step back, shook his head slightly, then went around me to get home. All the while, I was still throwing daggers at him with my eyes. I knew he could feel them because he kept looking back every now and then. "Af̱tó kópanos . Elpízo̱ na paírnei af̱tó pou érchetai gi 'af̱tón (That jerk. I hope he gets what's coming for him)."