c h a p t e r t w e n t y f i v e .

Start from the beginning

"Oh." Winter squeaked.

"Besides, it's your birthday and I couldn't let the day pass without seeing you." There was that Joe Jonas charm she had come to recognize.

With a soft flick of the wrist, Winter tossed her hair over her shoulder. "I've been trying to call you all day."

Joe bobbed his head up and down slowly while he processed what she said. "Ive been traveling to be here, in this moment, with you. You would have figured it out if I answered and you heads the roar of an airplane engine."

"I got the investment deal."

Muscles stiffened at the words. "You're kidding." Winter shook her head, attempting to hide her smile. A brilliant grin spread across Joe's cheeks. In the heat of the moment, he wrapped his arms around her waist and lifted her up, spinning her around in bliss. "I am SO proud of you, Winter. You deserve every single cent."

The rush of adrenaline coursed through her frame at his touch. It was a craving she had neglected. She reveled in the comfort she found in his right embrace. The scent of his cologne hit her nostrils and she inhaled sharply, enjoying the sense of security it provided. Lost in the moment, Winter pressed her lips to Joe's. She felt giddy at his instant reciprocation. Once again, Joe Jonas was no longer the unattainable celebrity and he was just...Joe.

Hers.

All hers.

"God, I've missed you, Winter." He spoke between kisses, his voice breathless and ragged with passion. "I'm sorry this week turned out the way it did. The album release has me stressed out and the Gianna thing feels like an overreaction now."

That was a conversation for later. Right now, all that mattered was her accelerated heart rate and the sensation that caused her lips to tingle at his touch. "Shhh." Winter regarded him with such fondness. "Later. You're a dream come true, Joe."

Before they could continue their reunion, there was another knock at the door and her sister, followed by her boyfriend, filed in. And a few minutes later, her grandparents joined too. Her grandparents never got the memo that she and Nolan has parted ways, so they were more confused than anyone else.

Joe was his typical charming self with introductions. He had such a natural way with people and with conversations that Winter could never understand. She envied that trait. Within minutes, he was cracking jokes and making even her dad laugh. What a social butterfly. While seated at the dinner table, her dad nodded his approval of Joe - his perception changed after meeting him.

"So, you're telling me you're some kind of star?" Her grandmother, Diane, was always frank with her choice of words.

Joe was unfazed. "I guess you could say so. I'm the lead singer for my band, the Jonas Brothers."

Diane scraped her fork on the plate while maintaining eye contact with Joe. "How did you meet our Winter if you're a star?"

Winter and Joe exchanged an amused glance. "It's quite the story actually, but to make a king story short, I spilled my coffee on her and the rest is history. What matters to me is the fact that we met. She's the most special person in my life."

Diane focused her gaze on Winter now. "Is he good to you?"

Winter's face heated up under the scrutiny of her family and their expectations of her relationships. "He is. He's very good to me."

"Then, okay. He sure is a looker. I could stare at that handsome face all day." Diane never failed to make everyone at the table erupt into laughter with her blunt commentary.

The rest of the birthday dinner gathering seemed to fly by. Winter shared the exciting news about the deal she was offered and her family cheered. Everyone asked Joe about the album release and some of his favorite songs which opened up an entirely new door.

"So, Joe. What's your favorite song on the new album? Tell us about it!" Gwen asked with round eyes.

There was a pause. A gentle expression softened his features. "A song called Hesitate. It's personal and close to my heart. Each time I sing it, I close my eyes and imagine singing it to the person I wrote it about, and she happens to be sitting at this table."

All eyes turned to Winter.

A red tint lit up her cheeks and she brushed a stray strand of hair behind her ear. When she looked up again, everyone had gone back to their individual conversations. Everyone except Joe whose chocolate gaze was unwavering. When he leaned forward and pressed a sweet kiss to her temple, she swore she could feel butterflies swarming in her stomach. She had never felt luckier.

Later that evening, Winter leaned back against Joe, embracing the rise and fall his chest under her weight. Her mind felt more clear than it has in days. The situation concerning Gianna felt like one big misunderstanding and she silently wished she could go back in time and take it all back.

"Joe...about Gianna..." Winter began.

"I get it." His voice was tender. "Gianna doesn't make it easier on herself. And I should have listened to your concerns. I didn't mean to make you feel invalid."

"It's more than that...I feel like the distance was jarring. That the distance was harder than I expected it to be and I let it get to me." She took his hand in hers. "I'm sorry for being so...charged in my reaction. And I've tried to like Gianna, but I just can't."

Joe chuckled. "Like I said, I get it. Let's put it in the past and focus on right now."

The chilling January breeze whipped around the house and whistled while the pair drifted to sleep. This surprise visit topped every other gift. His touch calmed her. Warmed her. Covered her. Soon, their breathing fell into a rhythm and they snoozed in each other's blissful embrace.

Maybe turning 27 would turn out to be the great year of her life.