Last Chapter :32: Secrets Unvelied and Hearts Reunited

Start from the beginning

Zaira's hand over the top of her eyes, shielding the tears and the other over her heart trying to calm it down.

Both of Zubair's hands were limp by his sides.

"I am sorry. I should have stopped joking around. I should have helped you. Instead of making you feel inferior. Honestly, I was doing that just to get a reaction out of you. I really didn't mean it. I am sorry."

He felt guilty. Remorseful. Regretful.

Every single negative emotion out there.

Lord, help me. Audhubillah! He recited.

"Enough Zubair. It wasn't your fault. Your words earlier, did you mean it? What you said to Aunt?"

It all felt to surreal. Did the storm just earlier really happen? Anyways, she wanted to change the topic, lest he had another episode of anxiety.

"Every word of it, Zaira."

He replied in a heartbeat.

Her name rolled out effortlessly from his mouth. As if a lullaby.

"Then fine. I can live with that."

She smiled to herself.

He was still weak from the anxiety attack from before. But he mustered all his strength and stretched his hand out towards her.

Zaira was pulled sideways by her shoulder, earning a small shriek from her. They were both joined at their hips. Quite literally.

They both held onto each other and looked at the ceiling. Like little children star gazing. His arms around her shoulder, tugging her closer. Her hand on top of his abdomen.

"I have....I have something to say."

He started a bit nervously.

"Anything to do with a second wife?" She playfully asked, slapping his stomach lightly.

"You will regret if you don't stop your mouth, right there from spouting more nonsense."

That warning made the smirk disappear and made her shut off immediately.

He chuckled at her innocence.

"Mom....mom isn't my real mother. She was my mama's sister." He said, turning serious.

"What!?"

She tried to get up and look at him properly when he pulled her back, causing her to fall back into their earlier position.

"Stay still, Zaira. Until I finish." He said. She nodded.

"Mom, mama, and her first husband, and father were all cousins. Mama had been married to her first husband. But he died due to a domestic fire caused by accident, during the first few years of their marriage. Mama had suffered quite a lot, because she barely survived the fire. She was later married to father. And me and Aisha were then born.

But, her first husband's mother got hysterical at her happiness, and she blamed the fire on her daughter in law. Honestly speaking, I don't think mama ever showed guilt or remorse towards her first husband, whenever he was mentioned, during the days I was still a kid. I later got to know it was because she had been abused a lot."

He paused, trying to find his voice.

Zaira held his free hand tightly. Providing him with strength to continue on.

"But after a couple of years, when we were big enough to attend kindergarten, her mother in law had had enough. So, she and her second son caused a fire in our house. It seemed all natural and normal. It was declared as a domestic fire caused by accident. Just like what happened to her first husband.