Thirteen hours of driving later, I pulled into a rest stop to take a nap. The events of the night before had been so exhausting, but I didn't give myself time to sleep, wanting to put as much distance between me and my old life as possible. Sleep came easier than I expected. What I didn't expect was the nightmares that ensued.

I woke up to the sound of me screaming and rapid tapping on the car window. It was a girl who was short and strawberry blonde and dressed very nicely. I shyly rolled down my window.

"Are you okay?" the girl asked. I nodded, too scared to say anything. "Do you need anything?" I shook my head. "You look pretty young, too young to be traveling by yourself. How old are you?"

"I'm seventeen. Eighteen in a month," I told her. "And I'm not traveling I ran away from home." I don't know why it was so easy to talk to her. Maybe it was because she was there and I wanted someone to talk to.

The strawberry blonde's expression changed from concern to pity. "Why'd you do that?"

"My step dad was abusing me and I couldn't take it," I told her, no emotion in my voice. After the events of the night before, I was emotionally drained.

I could tell the strawberry blonde looked genuinely worried. She felt bad for me, took pity on me. "Do you need a place to stay?" She asked. I was a little shocked. I hadn't thought about living situations or money or even food. All I had thought about was getting the hell out of there. I nodded again. "Well, tell you what, my friend Derek has an apartment with a spare room and I'm sure he'd be willing to let you stay there for at least a little while," She explained. "So just follow me to his house and we'll get you settled in."

I smiled. I really appreciated this random act of kindness from this stranger. I know they say not to trust people you've just met, but right now, this girl was all I've got. "I'm Elizabeth, by the way," I told her. I figured if she's going to be giving me living arrangements, she should at least know my name.

"I'm Lydia," The strawberry blonde-Lydia- said, a smile spreading across her face.

I followed Lydia into a town called Beacon Hills. Once there, we drove for another ten minutes before reaching a dim apartment complex in the middle of what seemed to be downtown Beacon Hills. I assumed Lydia called her friend- Derek and filled him in on everything during the car ride here.

A tall, brunette, tan, broad man with scruff on his face and muscles on his muscles came out of the apartment building, followed by a boy of the same stature but without the facial hair and a little bit less muscle. "Hi, I'm Derek," he said, sticking his hand out. I took it and shook it gently before letting go. He smiled a smile that flaunted all of his perfectly white teeth. "And this is Scott," he said, gesturing to the brunette boy beside him.

Scott held out his hand and I shook it. "It's a pleasure to meet you," he said, a slight boyish grin on his face.

"Now that we've got the introductions over with, I'll give you the tour," Derek said, holding his arm out to show off his home.

I followed him inside, Scott was behind me since he was carrying two of my bags. The apartment was more like a loft. When you first enter the loft you're in the an open living room with the kitchen connected to the side. It's a very grunge loft. It's looks like something straight out of a television show- one wall made of windows, the rest gray, spiral staircase, black countertops and matching futon and recliner, a flat screen tv, and book cases filled with books.

And finally, was my room. It was simple- white walls, wooden floors with a red rug. A big duvet lay on the bed matching the color of the rug. There was a wooden dresser and a glass desk in each corner of the room. Scott sat my two bags on the bed.