"CHAN: ID NO. 7 — CONFINEMENT RELEASE FORM"

Chan instantly looked up at the instructor, who had a blank, unreadable expression on his face.

"You're here... to release me?"

"What else do you think I'm here for? To bring you food?"

"That would be nice..."

The older chuckled, squatting down so he was at eye level with Chan as a gentle smile grew on his face.

"I'm busting you out of here, kid."

He watched as the young boy's eyes began to fill with tears. Chan quickly wiped them away, trying to hide his relieved feelings of being able to leave.

"But I need your help," Jisoo quickly added, "your ticket out of here isn't exactly for free."

"What do you mean by that?" Chan asked, sniffling after.

Jisoo glanced over at the mirror glass, hoping that the guards weren't looking at them too closely. He quickly stood up, grabbing the papers from Chan and flipping through them, trying to look like he was explaining protocols just in case the two outside were eyeing them suspiciously.

"I need your help on a mission," Jisoo said, tracing his finger over the words on the page, trying to look like he was reading them out loud, "You see, I'm not releasing you just so you can go back into the normal routine within the District."

"I sure hope not," Chan mumbled.

"Glad we're on the same page," Jisoo grinned, flipping to the next page, "I've gathered a group of citizens within the District to help me on an escape mission, you included."

"Escape?" Chan asked, "Like leaving the District kind of escape?"

"What other escape is there?"

"Right..."

"Anyways, I'm here to release you and offer you a spot on the team," Jisoo explained, "we could really use your intelligence, you know. You're a really smart kid."

Chan thought for a moment before glancing back at the instructor.

"And if I refuse?"

"Gonna have to go through the whole regular protocol," Jisoo responded, running his finger along the lines on the paper, "Memory wipe, pill consumption, you know, the usual. You'll forget about all of this— why you were put in here, your time in this cell, our little discussion going on right now."

He closed the file, the sound of the papers slapping together echoing throughout the room.

"So, what's your answer?" Jisoo asked, "Join the mission or get your memory wiped out?"

Chan thought for a moment, then he stood up before letting out a groan as he stretched his arms. He placed his hands on his hips, looking up at the instructor with a grin.

"As nice as the second option sounds," Chan began, "I like the first option better."

His grin grew a little crestfallen as he thought about the past.

"There's a lot of things I don't want to forget, things that give me a reason to keep moving forward."

Jisoo gave him a sympathetic smile before nodding at Chan. He actually knew why Chan was put in confinement, and it made his heart ache for the younger. However, he figured he should say anything about it. It was probably something too sensitive to talk about, considering how much Chan lost the day he was put in his cell.

"Shall we get going?" Jisoo asked, earning a nod from Chan.

"I'd be happy to," Chan grinned, "The sooner we get out the better."

"Well, you should put on some shoes first," Jisoo noted, pointed at his bare feet.

"Oh," Chan looked down and wiggles his toes, "Right. Shoes."

After Chan put on a pair of socks and white sneakers, they walked over to the entrance side by side; and Jisoo knocked on the glass to let the guards know they were ready to come out. A few seconds after, the entrance reopened, and the two stepped out of the cell. Chan took a deep breath before exhaling, letting go of all his worry and stress that had built up inside of him while he was in there. He looked over at Jisoo, who only nodded before they walked down the hall and into the elevator to go up.

As the elevator went up, Chan felt his body shake a little. Of course he was excited to be out of prison, but at the same time, he was terrified. He knew that District 17 was far from the perfect society; he had his fair share of finding out the truth. Somehow, he had to blend right back in with all the other citizens, but would he be able to do that, knowing the demonic ways of this world? The more he thought about it, the more nervous and frightened he became. He took another deep breath, attempting to calm his nerves.

Suddenly he felt Jisoo grab onto his hand, squeezing it in a comforting way. He looked down at their hands and then up at the instructor. Jisoo could tell Chan was nervous, but he gave the young boy a smile of reassurance.

"It'll be ok," Jisoo assured him.

Chan nodded, giving the instructor a small smile on return. He tightened his grip around the older's hand gently, feeling some sort of nostalgia from the gesture.

You can do this Chan. He thought to himself.

You have to.

For her.

____________