Konoha High: Chapter 3

Start from the beginning

“Temari, how long have you ever been in the talk of the school?” Umi asked. Temari raised an eyebrow.

“ ‘Ever been in the talk of the school?’ ” Temari repeated.

“You know what I mean,” Umi said.

“Right. Let’s see. The longest was probably when I first entered the school. I scared a few people and next thing I know, people are spreading strange rumours on how unladylike I was and how strong I was. That went on for about a month. Why?” Temari asked.

“Try being a foreigner. They don’t forget you so soon,” Umi grimaced slightly.

“So how long did they take to forget that?” Naruto asked.

“They have yet to forget,” Umi replied. The group sweat dropped.

“Um, what about before you entered the school?” Hinata asked, stuttering a little.

“This is my first Japanese school. But even before I came to Japan, I was still talked about. Although not as much as here,” Umi said.

“You were still talked about? How come?” Shikamaru asked.

“I was born in one country but since my parents are foreigners, that doesn’t make me one of them. Other kids knew that I was different so they always wished to talk about what foreigners do. Really annoying,” Umi said.

“How many countries have you been to?” Kiba asked.

“Including Japan? Four. And I didn’t go there for holiday. But I’m not going into detail as that brings up the past and this week is no good for me,” Umi said seriously. The group remembered Natsu mentioning yesterday to his father that Umi’s family’s anniversary was coming up during this week and how Umi was more sensitive during this time. Temari gave Kiba a silent warning not to talk anymore or he would be in trouble. Kiba wisely obeyed. Having reached the cafeteria, they sat down and ate their bentos. Umi listened as Kiba nagged about homework that he had to finish, Naruto laughing at Kiba for that and then Kiba and Naruto got into a fight. After some time, Temari got mad and started yelling at them to shut up. Shikamaru fell asleep after eating and Hinata began chatting to Naruto. Gaara sat back and watched them all. After a while, the bell rang, signalling the end of break.

When Gaara came to pick her up from the classroom to walk her home, Umi could feel the looks from her classmates. At least it’s the end of the first day. The next couple of days should become easier, Umi thought in relief. As Gaara and Umi walked outside the school, they heard someone yell.

“Hey, hurry up you two!” Temari yelled from the front gate.

“What you waiting here for?” Umi asked once she and Gaara reached them.

“It’s not Gaara’s job alone. It was just this morning that you guys were going to be alone. From now on, we’ll be walking with you,” Temari said slyly. Umi realised something.

“Temari?”

“Yip?”

“What’s with you saying that? Don’t tell me you wanted somehow to tease Gaara or something?” Umi asked directly. They looked at her, even Gaara. “What?”

“Girls don’t normally say that out loud. At least not in front of guys. Plus, since you don’t know us very well, a person wouldn’t be so direct,” Kiba replied.

“Excuse me for being abnormal,” Umi muttered. Kiba looked at her again and looked at Gaara.

“Hey, can we swap? I really want to date Umi!” Kiba asked before being interrupted.